Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crazy Switchback!!!!!!!!!! >

Crazy Switchback!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crazy Switchback!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Crazy Switchback!!!!!!!!!!

Well guys,

Some of you may know that my sisters boyfriend (Brad) bought a Mathews Switchback a couple weeks ago as well as Brads friend Larry! Well, they had problems with both bows right off the start, Brads bow, a 60-70# bow was maxing out around 75#, and when set at 70#'s, this bow had a very very harsh draw cycle (not how the bow should feel). Larry's bow was also maxing out in the 75# range even though it was a 70# bow, and the draw length on his bow was nearly an inch long!

Well, Monday I talked to Larry before I went to shoot my bow, and he is still having problems! His grip fell off the bow, so he had to glue it back on. His string suppressors have wore down and already need replaced (just after a few weeks), and he is getting alot of serving seperation and string wear on the bottom cam! Also, his bow is consistantly getting left tears through paper!

Brad shot with me Monday and he was able to chrono his bow! This is where the thing is amazing...... 29.5" draw length, 70# draw weight. String has 1 brass nock, a string loop, a kisser button, and a peep sight WITH tubbing. He has a pair of limb savers on the bow, and he is shooting a 412 grain arrow at................ 292 f.p.s.

According to my calculations, his bow should be shooting about 272 f.p.s. (20 f.p.s. slower). At this rate, his bow would should be able to pull around 235 f.p.s. at IBO settings!!!!!!!

Even though his bow is screaming fast, both of these guys are already considering getting rid of their bows! The "pro-shop" they bought them at has been little to no help to them in figureing out what is wrong and why these two bows are having so many problems. I am trying to convince them to go to a different shop, but they are so frustrated that they aren't listening to me![:@]
Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Default RE: Crazy Switchback!!!!!!!!!!

I am really sorry to hear that. Your shop should be more help to you. That is the difference between a good bow experience and a bad one. They are suppose to help you get it perfect!! I am in the process of ordering a Switchback as well. And my shop has been a huge help. Are you sure everything is in spects? Something sounds wrong with your setup. You should be getting more speed and deffintly be very smooth not rough like you stated.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:49 PM

Have them go to the Mathew's web site and do some searching on the forums. There is alot of info that will help them. It sounds to me like the bows are not tuned correctly. A good pro shop will make them happy they bought a switchback. The problems they are having are easily fixed if they can find a good pro shop to help them.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:26 AM

My handle fell off the first day home as well. Other than that I have had perfect "bullet holes" in paper tuning my switchback and no other problems.
Awesome bow
Old 03-10-2005, 06:36 AM

It is common to have a handle come loose from a mathews, All you need to do is hot glue it back on.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Switchback as well, and the only issue I had was the left tear which is now corrected. I have spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks tinkering and tuning this bow to get it where I like it. It definetly sounds like those bows are not in spec. If your suppressors are wearing your ATA is not correct. It is too long. The Switchbacks are running high in poundage by around 3 pounds on average. I get 72 lbs bottomed out with all my measurements in spec. Is the cam timed? It sounds like your cable is over twisted causing the poundage to be too high, or your string needs twisting which will bring your poundage down and shorten the draw length. Your timing holes will tell if you are doing the right thing. In summary it sounds as though the bow specs are all out of whack. The problems you are having all relate to your specs being out. I had the suppressor issue on LX, and it was caused by the ATA being too long. I know these are new bows, and it sounds like your dealer didnt do a very good job of setting up guys up properly before you left.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 AM

That really sucks that they are having all these problems with new bows. I would call Mathews and complain.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 AM

Hey guys,

I finally talked them into going to a different pro-shop! Friday they are going to head down and hopefully get everything figured out.

It is odd because when these guys bought their bows, I was able to test shoot the Switchback and I was very impressed with the bow! IMHO it is the nicest bow Mathews has made to date! These bows feel nothing like the bow that they/I was able to test shoot! The bow we test shot had a very smooth draw cycle where as Brads bow is very very rough!

I'll keep ya'll updated!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

From reading the responces, and the the posts on this site and others, it sure seems like these are isolated events. I actually shot the switchback last night for the first time, and loved it! I shot it side by side with the V-Tec. Both awesome bows, but I'm leaning towards the switchback...o.k, I'm more than leaning towards it! I'm actually waiting for my tax returns to come...should be in the bank tomorrow!!!!!!!

It sounds to me like they have a bad pro-shop! They need to take the bows to another shop, and maybe write to Mathews with the porblem. I think Mathews should be involved with the problem as well! I've heard nothing but good things from this bow....except from Bowtech and hoyt shooters of course! Let's look at it...they both got the same bow from the SAME SHOP and are having similar problems!!!!! Let me guess....the same person set up both bows. Time for a new shop!

JUST MY OPINION!

Jay
Old 03-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I had a little problem to get my Switchback to fit just right. Now am in the process of tuning the bow. I have no doubts about getting it zero'd in. One thing that should be stated here is...it's more difficult to tune a High Preformance bow than a standard performance one. The Switchback is like the Jaguar of bows, it's extremely efficient and requires things to be a little more in tune than an average bow that has a little sloppier standards. Hope this makes some sense, and doesn't add to the confusion.

Quick Reply: Crazy Switchback!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.