Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stands

Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tree Stands

70'what kind of tree was that?To be honest I believe every man that walks the face of this earth is afraid of heights to an extent,here is a test to prove it would you climb a 70'pole with gaffs and stand on the pole top without a safety belt?I am a lineman and have been climbing poles for many years and would never do it.Just making a pointWhen I was an apprentice what helped us all was repetition,repetition can help with the overwellming fear of heights.
ORIGINAL: thenuge15

Get a climber that allows you to be attached all the way up. Or summit sells a rope system that allows you to be attached while climbing your ladder. Using these methods it will gurantee that you never fall as long as you connect your harness at the base of the tree. If your guranteed not to fall then what is there to be afraid of? Of course that's easy for me to say, because I've never been afraid of heights. I climbed 70 feet in my climber once just for fun.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:58 PM

best thing to do if repitition, and just work your way up. rome wasn't built in a day "brick by brick my friend" or should i say foot by foot

i also agree their is no need to be much higher then 20 ft.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mnbohunter

To you guys that are afraid of heights, didn't you climb trees as kids. I'm not trying to insult anyone so don't get me wrong here. It's just that when I was a kid, we were always climbing trees and it's probably only by the grace of God that I can't think of anytime someone got hurt. I just thought all kids climbed trees. Now I have to make it a point to remember my harness but I do try and wear one all the time.

I think it is a little more complicated than that. As much as I hate to admit it, I think age has something to do with it. The older I get the more unstable I feel when my feet are off the ground. I have been debating getting a climber for a couple of years and part of the reason is that it seems that so many people are injured/killed every year falling from a tree stand. I'll re-consider this summer and may give it a try, but I know I'll be nervous.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:07 PM

I sure didnt mean to stir anything up here. Ya, I climbed tress as a kid and when I fell it didnt seem to hurt so bad then. I have to agree, age does have something to do with it. Plus I dont heal as fast now and the doctor now bills me not my loving parents. Heck, maybe it isnt the height that I fear......It could be the fall or the chance of one. Anyway, if being in a tree doesnt bother you at all, hey more power to you. I am ok with my fears and I deal with them one at a time.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think age just makes you slower and more careful, which is what you need to be anyway when climbing.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:34 PM

I bought a "Tree Lounge" and love it. It has to be the safest climber on the market.......actually i wouldnt know i've only ever tried one.........but i know this baby is safe.........and the best part is that its VERY comfortable............i can sit it all day as long as i have enough food and water.....the only down fall maybe is the price........plus you have to buy the bowhunter adapter......and like everyone has been saying.......the more you do something the more comfortable it is..........i think that sometimes people avoid things because it bothers them so much.....but if they didnt avoid them and kept doing them it would no longer bother them....

anyways when thinking of a stand definalty dont count out the Tree Lounge..........i think you can actually order a free video.....its has some good hunting on it too!!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:55 PM

It might help if you use a stand with something to grab a hold of that is at waist level or higher. A stand that has a gun rail or arm rest might give you a bit more of a sense of security.