Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Passin the Buck

Here is what makes me mad....

I dont have a problem with guys killing everything that walks by and/or blasting every buck they see (as long as they dont hunt where I do). What I do have a problem with is when those guys start bad-mouthing and/or making assumptions about other hunters who practice QDM or TDM. When those other guys kill big bucks year after year or when they pass up big bucks year after year for one reason or another, the assumptions start to fly.

Lets take Texas for example. How many of you guys who watch the outdoor channel and see a guy sitting in a stand with 10 bucks feeding around him, automatically think he is hunting in a "pen" or that all those deer are tame etc.?? Why do you think this way?? Probably because your not use to seeing large number of bucks. And because it "dosent happen in your back yard" so it cant be real, or the hunter must be cheating some how.

Every time I sit in a stand I see lots of deer of all different ages and score wise. I bet 99% of the guys on this site would call me a liar if I told you about the size of bucks that I have passed. Most of the guys in this area would believe me, because they do the same thing. But guys who are from different regions and/or states have a hard time with it.

I have awesome hunting, this whole region of the state has awesome hunting because we have been practicing QDM for years. If your happy with your pencil thick 4 pointers that still have milk around the mouth, then good for you. But dont critizize the guy who passes up buck after buck and/or the guy who takes trophy bucks every year. If you had alittle self control you would experience the same thing.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:43 AM

at least you are willing to admit that QDM makes tagging a larger buck easier instead of harder.
Of course it is, thats the entire point. Your goal in QDM is to make mature trophy bucks more plentiful. If your not seeing a difference then your management practices need some improvement.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have a problem with guys killing everything that walks by and/or blasting every buck they see (as long as they dont hunt where I do).
I'll assume by that that you either hunt on your own land or on private land where the rules are consistent with your hunting philosophy. Because if you are hunting public land and the hunters that hunt where you do are not breaking the law then it is absolutely none of your business what or how many they take.

What I do have a problem with is when those guys start bad-mouthing and/or making assumptions about other hunters who practice QDM or TDM.
I agree with you here, nobody should bad-mouth the way other guys hunt (again assuming its legal).

I have awesome hunting, this whole region of the state has awesome hunting because we have been practicing QDM for years. If your happy with your pencil thick 4 pointers that still have milk around the mouth, then good for you. But dont critizize the guy who passes up buck after buck and/or the guy who takes trophy bucks every year. If you had alittle self control you would experience the same thing.
In the same breath you criticise the guy who is "happy with your pencil thick 4 pointers that still have milk around the mouth" and ask for others not to criticise the guy who passes buck after buck. How do YOU spell hypocrite?

I don't see the hunters that don't support QDM asking the QDM guys to change their ways. It's just the opposite and it looks to me like your post is just more of the same. It drips with arrogance.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

I dont have a problem with guys killing everything that walks by and/or blasting every buck they see (as long as they dont hunt where I do).

What I do have a problem with is when those guys start bad-mouthing and/or making assumptions about other hunters who practice QDM or TDM.
What about when the same thing is done to those who don't practice QDM???......Do you have a problem with that??

If your happy with your pencil thick 4 pointers that still have milk around the mouth, then good for you......................If you had alittle self control you would experience the same thing.
You don't find this statement insulting at all????
Old 03-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

deleted because I can't read!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

at least you are willing to admit that QDM makes tagging a larger buck easier instead of harder.
Of course it is, thats the entire point. Your goal in QDM is to make mature trophy bucks more plentiful. If your not seeing a difference then your management practices need some improvement.

So why do we always see QDM preachers telling everyone to "challenge" themselves more and want to be a "better" hunter and hunt the "harder" to kill deer?????

If the entire point of QDM is to make killing trophy bucks easier then that goes against every "trophy" hunters motto of wanting to conquer the toughest challenge out there. Sounds more like the current challenge is too difficult for some people and they want everyone elses help in making it easier.

If killing a young buck is not gratifying because it is too easy then why would you want to make killing a big buck easier??.........soon enough that won't be gratifying anymore either.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm waiting for the healthier herd argument. Usually when the QDM guys loose the "its not trophy management" debate they resort to the healthier herd argument. Anybody?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:08 PM

QDM is extremely good for the herd. If you practice QDM on a piece of land, then you are doing the best thing possible for the deer herd. Its dumb to argue other wise. If you take a piece of public land that is heavily hunted and compare it to a piece of private land in which all who hunt practice QDM, which one do you think is going to have the healthier herd??

Because if you are hunting public land and the hunters that hunt where you do are not breaking the law then it is absolutely none of your business what or how many they take.
Nope, I have never even seen a piece of public land, much less hunted on any. All the deer leases that I've been on and/or all the private land that I've been on (including mine), all follow a very strict management program.

In the same breath you criticise the guy who is "happy with your pencil thick 4 pointers that still have milk around the mouth" and ask for others not to criticise the guy who passes buck after buck. How do YOU spell hypocrite?
The only time I ever criticise somebody is when they say something in regards to me or my method of doing things.

I don't see the hunters that don't support QDM asking the QDM guys to change their ways.
What would or could they ask us to change? Theres nothing that they can say negative about QDM so they keep quiet. The only thing that they can complain about is the QDM guys who are trying to convert them.

You don't find this statement insulting at all????
Of course I do, thats why I said it.....

Sounds more like the current challenge is too difficult for some people and they want everyone elses help in making it easier.
No its not to much of a "challenge" we just dont want to end up with crappy hunting. We dont want are land and animals raped by every Joe Blow that is carrying a hunting lic. and a rifle/bow. We want to protect our animals and create a more natural and balanced herd, thats why people practice QDM. The fact that QDM produces more and bigger bucks is just the reward for all the hard work and discipline that we have expressed over the years.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone who REALLY enjoys the "challenge" of taking a mature buck in reality should be encouraging everyone to shoot EVERY small buck they see.........that way it would be so hard to find an old buck.......now that is a "challenge"
Atlas, I hope you were joking with that comment. If not, that is the most riduculous statement I have ever heard!!!

If the entire point of QDM is to make killing trophy bucks easier
I have never heard that.

In my opinion, the point of QDM is to make your odds better and getting a shot at that trophy. Just because you practice QDM, don't neccisarily mean you will shoot more deer. But I bet if you practiced a little more QDM, you would see more quality deer in your area.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:43 PM

the only buck i have ever killed was about a 2-3 year old button buck. i know it was this old by its teeth wear. and my neighbor (formal neighbor) is a taxidermist and he looked at it and said it was this old. i have killed 2 dear in about 5 years of hunting and mayber 2-3 years of serious hunting. i got my second deer this year and it was a doe. but i am still proud of my button buck. i think no matter what kind of deer it is besides a fawn. whoever shoots it especially if its your first deer. u dont really care what it is. my cousin got a 5 point this year and hes about 10 years old he got it with a bow. and it was his first time hunting. i think if u have never killed a deer u should take the first thing u see. unless ur area is completly loaded with deer. then u should pass on the younger bucks. i had a small 6 point walk in on me. even tho i was mad i didnt get it. after the season i was glad i didnt get it becuase this way it can grow bigger. but i did shoot at a 8 point this year and miss'd and boy o boy was i ever pissed. but it was my first weekend hunting with a bow. and its just more experience under my belt. and u can agree with me or not i dont care thats how i veiw it. and to all u so called "professional" hunters have never shot a doe because its not a buck. but will shoot a button/spike buck just to say u got a buck. u are not hunters ur just doin it for bragging rights and in my opinion shouldnt be allowed in the woods with a gun bow or whatever.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.