Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Summit Python  - (purchase decisions explained) >

Summit Python - (purchase decisions explained)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Python - (purchase decisions explained)

Old 09-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Summit Python - (purchase decisions explained)

Well after months of researching and changing my mind several times, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Summit Python from Cabela's on Sunday night. It arrived last night. (Great service by the way).

Even though I really didn't start a thread here regarding this purchase, I did read other threads that were asking the same types of questions.

I was replacing a Summit Sabre (1991).

Originally, I had narrowed down the search between Ol'Man Multivision, Summit Python XLS and the Warren & Sweat Imperial.

I wanted light weight, versatility and warranty protection.

Although I liked the W&S Bark Biter Belt attachment, I was not comfortable with the 1 year warranty (vs. 5 years from Summit).

I really liked the versatility of the Ol'Man Multivision and really like the net seat for comfort (especially since it does not get wet and feel damp like other padded seats), but the 23-25 pounds turned me off (my sabre is 22 pounds - and when I hunt S. IL, I hike about 1 mile from the road).

As for the Summit Viper, my only concern was the versatility and being able to shoot my bow from the sitting position which I have done and I do practice. I felt the permanent bar in front would prohibit me from doing it the way I liked. I believed that Summit had the best warranty and the best no-pins, no-bolts, no-anything attachment system.

So....long story long...
I stepped up to the Summit Python.
I cost $30 more, but the shooting rail for gun hunting which turns into a footrest for bow hunting, put all the things I wanted in place.

Versatility, lightweight {21 pounds - not as light as I wanted } and warranty.

Maybe all of this might help someone else who is deciding to purchase a climber stand this year. Maybe not...

Good Luck to all and thanks for all of your opinions and comments on other related threads.

Old 09-11-2002, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Summit Python - (purchase decisions explained)

I just got my Python too, brought it home last Friday. How do you like them as far as stacking them? Do they seem noisy when stacked? Like when you take them off and set them on the ground do they clank together? When you get them stacked and ready to pack, where do you pull the shoulder straps through? I'm a bit confused by that. My old stand stacked with the top on top and this one stacks with the base on top and it has the straps on it.

I might end up using it without the foot/shooting rest at first until I get used to it. Just seems a bit much with it.

How much did you pay, total?

Edited by - ChiefHeadhunter on 09/11/2002 14:47:44
Old 09-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I just got the Python xls yesterday I think its going to be a great stand. Chief I can understand your confusion with the shoulder straps, I took me awhile to figure that one out. With the seatback folded the straps come from behind seatand protrude outward when they get closer to the shoulder area. When I place the stand on my back the seat cushion rests on my lower back area. Kind of hard to put into words but it seems to work ok like this without any discomfort. I used the green strap to tie the two sections together, and if wrap it around the bars a couple of times it stays pretty still without making any noise. I just need to figure out what to do with the small cables for the gun rest to keep them from clanking. The full body harness is nice but it would be lunchtime before I ever got that thing on. Confusing enough when its light, cant imagine getting it on in the dark.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:03 AM

It is confusing in words. I'll figure it out though. Thanks for the help.

You aren't saying you won't use the harness are you. You could put it on at the truck with your clothes and tuck the rams horn in somewhere. For the love of god, wear the thing.

I do like how the seat acts as a pad against your back though.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

You can believe I will have it on.