Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow for beginner, cheap, is it worth it? >

Bow for beginner, cheap, is it worth it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow for beginner, cheap, is it worth it?

Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow for beginner, cheap, is it worth it?

The bow is OK. I'm not too keen on the sight as there's too mcu breakable plastic for my tastes. The release is junk--pure and simple. The arrows are probably OK, but not the highest quality. The quiver is a good one as is the stabilizer.

I'd do some looking at accessories and pick your own. The bow sells for $300 on Edersbow. THat's about normal. $225 for those accessories might be about right, but I think you could get better for less money. And the stuff is easy to put on a bow.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:50 PM

Hey Fisher d oyou know of some good sites that sell Bows and Bow Packages because I do not know any.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a decent bow for a beginner, I wouldn't hesitate suggesting any of the Reflex line to anyone.
It's a decent bow for anyone who likes the feel , beginners or pro's.

I've had that exact same sight on my hunting bow for four years now with zero problems.

As for the release being junk?[&:] Tru Fire makes some good releases but I've never shot that particular model. It looks like it would be fine for shooting off the string.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:30 PM

If you're going to buy a package, Hunters Friend probably has as many or more options than most and seem to offer more with their packages than a lot of others (assuming you need all of those items). The Grizzley is their top selling package bow (I believe) and a lot of folks really like it. For me, it was a little too long and heavy, but that's me. Before you spend a dime, though, you should find a shop that has one and check it out. Also, do some research on the accessories (this site is a good way to do that). If you think you'd like a different sight or rest or whatever, just ask them to substitute. You can also check out Cabela's, Bass Pro, Eders, Archery Experts, etc. on-line. They will likely have package deals, although they may include more or less in their packages, so don't just go on price.

Good Luck.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: hunohio
Before you spend a dime, though, you should find a shop that has one and check it out. Also, do some research on the accessories (this site is a good way to do that).
I will be going up to the local BPS to take it for a few test rounds and I will decide then.