Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trap door arrow rest review >

Trap door arrow rest review

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trap door arrow rest review

Old 02-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trap door arrow rest review

http://www.broadheadtests.com/ARROWRESTS.html
Old 02-18-2005, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trap door arrow rest review

ttt
Old 02-18-2005, 06:10 AM

Chris:

You were 'right on' with the durability issue of the Mirage. I pointed this out when they first brought that rest out and was blasted by the 'Good ol' boys'. As is the case many times, time proved me right.

As far as the Trap Door, it also has some problems. I've seen two types of failures. First, premature dropping after "X" shots. Second, hanging up.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:29 AM

premature activation, i guess i'm not mature enough for that not to be funny to me 5shot.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i have a trap door on my darton, and it works great, no problems with mine.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:45 AM

Been useing one for 2 years and wouldn't own a bow without one.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

premature activation, i guess i'm not mature enough for that not to be funny to me 5shot.
I am with you on that one, LOL.

Len, I din't have any problems with the rest going off before I wanted it to so long as I had it adjusted correctly. That is once I was in shooting position. I did have it trip once in a while as I was simulating hunting situations such as canting the bow or moving under tree limbs etc. I have also heard of several others that have had the rest just stop working for no reason. I have heard enough of these "reports" to at least make me aware that it can happen. It is my understanding that the latter issue was taken care of, but I have no evidence one way or the other on that. I do think it's a pretty nice rest, not my "cup of tea" for hunting, but for 3D it would be nice. For a hunting drop away I still prefer the MZE, that is if I shot a drop away for hunting.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:16 AM

I have a TD and would not shoot another rest. I have had one lock up on me, however after reading the instructions it says to never do what I did to lock it up. The new rest do fall faster, this helps in two ways. 1. It gets out of the way which makes fletch clearance a non issue. 2. It allows you to set the rest up with a less sensative setting, to prevent prefalling.

As for the clicking noise and your solution, it might work better on some bows than others. On my protec the launcher hits on the body of the launcher not on the prongs. So a peice of mole skin prevents my clicking. However I shot fingers and use a metal prong, so I can bend up the inside of the rest, and it does over time bend the metal up ever so slightly.

Thanks for the Review 5Shot
Old 02-19-2005, 07:40 AM

Isn't it always the case. I get naysayers who tell me how wonderful THEIR unit works because THEY haven't had any problems.

I'm not knocking YOUR product. I'm letting the general archery community know what problems may arise. If the manufacturers get word, they usually improve their products.

I wish everyone could understand that I see a lot of every type of equipment come into my shop, which is known for 'above average' repair work. I also do extensive testing on everything I can. It's just my nature.

If I say that there are problems with a product, it's based on FACTS and not OPINIONS. I'll also let everyone know when I see or hear that the manufacturers have improved products. It's only fair to the manufacturers.