Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moveable pin sight. How do I shoot with it? >

Moveable pin sight. How do I shoot with it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moveable pin sight. How do I shoot with it?

Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Moveable pin sight. How do I shoot with it?

Im getting an HHA OL-4000. I was wondering how I would use it, would it work with a hindsite? I didnt figure it would since the pin moves. Would it work with a peep, or does the pin move too much?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:44 AM

Default RE: Moveable pin sight. How do I shoot with it?

No a movable pin sight will not work with the hindsite, or any other rear sight that uses a stationary pin as a referance point. The No Peep however will work with a movable pin sight.

How do you use them, well it should come with instructions, but basically you put it on and start at the shortest distance you want to shoot at and set the sight for basic adjustments. I usually start at 20 yards. Then you move back in 5 or 10 yard incremints adjusting the sight bar until the arrow hits the correct elevation for that yardarge, then mark the sight so you have a referance. It is kind of time consuming depending on how far back you want to set it for, but it's worth it when you are done. And if you change your set up, you will need to do it again, especially at longer distances. You can also get programs that will generate a sight tape for you as well, I have never used one though.

After using several kinds of different sights, I wouldn't really suggest a movable pin sight for hunting. If a deer comes in at a different yardarge then you have it set for, I doubt you will have time to move it. And there is always the possibility you will forget to adjust it right before getting in the tree, or forget what you had it set for when you go to shoot. I have had a few accidents messing with them in my yard, moving to a different yardage and forgetting to move the sight. And that wasn't even in a hunting situation where things are a bit more stressful. I would stick with a simple bright 3 pin sight for hunting. Of course you could always use the wrong pin with one of those, but I have never done that myself.

Not that a movable pin won't work for hunting, lots of people use them, you just need to be a bit more careful is all. And if you had a fast enough bow you could just set it for 25 yards and it would be good for 20-30 yards most likely. They work good for target shooting and 3-D though. Especially if you like to shoot at longer distances that you can't get out of 3 pin sight (I use four in mine any way).

And I think the movable pin sights work better with a peep sight myself, but a No Peep works pretty well as well, you just may not get as much range out the sight as you would with a peep sight. However you wouldn't have to adjust your anchor slightly at longer yardarges eithers. So it's a push either way I guess.

Paul
Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Well I'm no expert, but I have been bowhunting for 13 years and have harvest around 30 deer. Most with a moveable pin. I love them and would be hard pressed to change. In all those years I've never had to move the pin to shoot a deer. All have been within 25yds and I just let it fly. If I were going to take a 30+ yd shot, it definitely wouldn't be a rushed in the heat of the moment shot.

Now, if you are out west, shooting ranges from 0-50yds regularly, I can see a problem with a moveable sight. But for treestand hunting whitetails in the forest, Its what I choose every time.

Personally, I think you stand a better chance of picking the wrong pin with a stationary
sight than you do not getting a shot off with a moveable single pin in the heat of the moment.

To answer you question, you won't have any problems with the peep sight. You will see the pin at all settings.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just gonna use on the off season, shootin 3d or somethin. I will be getting a super fast Oneida this summer, and I will be putting my pendulem on it for hunting.