Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Time for a new bow.. >

Time for a new bow..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time for a new bow..

Old 02-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Time for a new bow..

I'm now in the market for a new bow, i've been shooting an old Golden Eagle for the past few years and now i've had my sights on a PSE Firestorm, then was interested in a Martin, then just recently i came across a Mathews Switchback and from what i've read about that bow it seems as though that would do well for me, i thought i read somewhere where it can come in a 65% letoff (thats what my State requires by law), i'm assuming that Switchback also has a hefty pricetag to but i'm willing to hold out for a while till i gather enough $$$, afterall bow seasons a ways away,,if and when i can get one i'd like to go with a Whisker Bisquit and those Copper John sights ,from what i've read about those sights they seem like an awsome set of sights,,well, what does anyone thing of the setup??
Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 AM

Default RE: Time for a new bow..

Sounds terrific for hunting, however, if I were you I'd at least shoot the Bowtech Allegiance before you decide on the switchback. Ideally you would shoot a few more than two bows though before you make a decision on shelling out $700. I have both the Whisker biscuit and the Copper John sight and love them both.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Which Golden Eagle are you shooting? I myself shot a Golden Eagle for 6 years, it was only my second bow that I ever owned at the time. It was and is the Golden Eagle Formula 3-D, I bought in new in the summer of 1991 for just over $300, from Gander Mountain, I think they have now been bought out by Cabelas? Anyway I still have that Formula 3-D, could never part with it. My first archery killed bull elk took place using that bow. It became my backup bow in 97 when I bought a New Martin Fury. I myself never used it for hunting again, but it was always in elk camp and ready to be called upon again if needed. I did let my youngest brother use it for 3 years when he started learning to archery hunt. In his 3rd year of bowhunting in the fall of 2000 he killed his first ever elk with it. A lot of fun memories with that bow, I am sure you have had the same with your older golden eagle too. Anyway I bought a Switchback this year, its still on ordre being left handed I am still waiting. My dealer tells me that Mathews is flooded with SB orders and they are running behind. Being there are far more right handed shooter we lefties have to wait our turn. Oh well good things come to those who wait. In the meantime I have shot the right hand SB and it lives up to all that is said about it and more. Don't know where you are from but Idaho has a 65% let of rule too. Yes the SB, as well as almost all bows from diferent brands come in 65% if you want. They might not be shiped from the factory that way but the dealers are given different mods/cams and they can be switched out by any good dealer with the know how and a bow press. The rest and sights that you mentioned are both excellent selections too. Remember its what feels good to you and what you want the most that will bring confidence in the field for you. No need to be using something that you realy didn't want to buy, but you did anyway because jon doe talked you into it. When showtime comes the last thing a bowhunter needs to be worrying about, is his equipment, or wishing for different equipment because its what you realy wanted in the first place. I always say buy equipment that you want, making sure it fits you, and that feels good to you. Then as long as you can shot strait with it you'll have no problems or regrets. Sorry for carring on and being long winded, good luck with you search.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:37 AM

I tested the Mathews Switchback, Outback, Hoyt Vtec, Xtec, and Bowtech Allegiance, Black Knight. They were all good bows and I considered them all seriously. I was blown away by the Bowtechs. I purchased the Allegiance. The Mathews is about $769, Hoyt $729, Bowtech $749. Shoot all the bows you are interested in before you decide. You will be glad you did.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:55 AM

I recetly purchased a Mathews Switchback and it is the best bow I have ever owned. However, everyone is right is the sense that you should shoot several bows and get the one that is best for you. Though mine is 80% letoff, they can be purchased with 65% letoff. If you decide the switchback is for you, let me know. I paid $580 + tax. I would recommend that you take a look at the Hunter Hogg-It Sight. I have a Copper John on my other bow and though it is s good sight, the Hogg is much better. Catcha Later & Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

That Golden Eagle was given to me about 4 years ago by a friend that wanted to get me into bow hunting , my guess is that bow was made back in the early eighties, the ATA on that bow is just over 47 in. their isn't much let-off on it i'd say theres probably about 20% let-off on it ,,yeah,, and little cumbersome when you are using a climber stand, now don't get me wrong that is an excellent bow ,i've gone up against others at those 3D Dart systems,,3D shoots and it performed just as well as newer bows, i shot my first "Muley" with it at 35 yds. 3 years ago, almost got my first elk with it last year ,,from my climber one early morning (i live in OR,,65% let-off) ,,but it's time for something with a little more quieter,,a little lighter and quicker with some power behind it,,and yes i'll take your guys advice and head down to my local shop and try out the different mods and work out some figures and all,,see i've got refunds this year coming soon and if i don't get it done right now there won't be much left if the misses has her way about things ,,but buying my climber last year showed me that old Golden Eagle just ain't gonna cut the mustard being up in that stand, i think going from an ATA of over 47 to something around 33ATA is definitely gonna help.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

idaho, Gander wasn't bought out. They sold the rights to catalog sales to Cabela's for a period of 10 years. I work at a Gander store here in Pa. Gander has 77 stored at last count and building more. They went public last year (stock market).

For those intereted, Golden Eagle was bought by Bear in 1999 and the line is now discontinued.

Throwing Starr, you oght to get into some shops and shoot a lot of bows. And I mean a lot of them. There are probably a lot of bows that will fill your needs, and for a lot less money. The latest thing is not always the best for a person's needs.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM

The copper John Sight is awesome, I however shoot a dropzone drop away rest. Check out Bowtech's Diamond line of bows. I just got a new Rapture and am shooting 295 fps. Shoots very nice and is under 400 bucks.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Look at my Bow description nuff said. I love my biscuit. I shoot a pendulum sight that's lighted when I turn it on. You can see the pin without it very well though. I love my Switchback and plan on having it for awhile.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

BGfisher, thanks for the info. Thats realy good to hear that Gander Mountain is still in business. I have a lot of memories look pouring over that catalog, do they have a catalog again? Sadly I did know that the Golden Eagle line was taken over and discontinued by Bear. Not saying Bear makes a bad product, but being that Golden Eagle was what I learned to bowhunt with, it has a special place in my heart. And you could bet if they were around today, I would still consider buying from them.

Quick Reply: Time for a new bow..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.