Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shoulder injury

Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 AM

Default shoulder injury

I had surgery a week ago to repair a torn labrum in my shoulder and remove a cyst in the shoulder joint (a common injury among baseball pitchers) has anyone else had to recover from a shoulder surgery and if so how soon where you able to shoot your bow? My concern is for the April spring turkey season, I am optimistic about my chances
Old 02-09-2005, 08:11 AM

Default RE: shoulder injury

I have never had surgery but How long did the doc tell you to take it easy. I would give it some rest time before you start working on building the strenght up again you don't want to push it and mess it up even worse and never beable to shoot a bow again. but if you fell your strong enough to go turkey hunting either drop your bow weight to the bare min or find a bow that you could use that has even less draw weight. I have never hunted turkey before but I am sure it doesn't take 60+lbs to drop one. good luck sir
Old 02-09-2005, 08:29 AM

This is a good question for the Doc who did your surgery. Labral cysts are usually a consequence of the labral tear itself, and are not usually a factor in determining rehab time. Did you have any rotator cuff damage in addition to the labral tear? Again, your orthopod is the man to ask.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:39 AM

I will ask him the next time I see him but I was just wondering in the mean time. There was no rotator cuff damage, just the muscle tear
Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 AM

100% ask your doc, don't worry about what we have to say about it. Stick with at least the length of time the doc tells you to lay off the bow. You'd be better off missing Spring Turkey this year than risking re-injuring it and missing all the Fall seasons, or even not being able to hunt your bow at all! Good luck, do what your doc says and you'll be back at it before you know it!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM

Passthrew-
About eight years ago, I tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder and I have had to be extra careful with it ever since- especially when shooting my bow. This was my first year that I got serious into bowhunting and I discovered the it is wise to take baby steps... Don't jump into pulling too much weight too soon. While target shooting, I was comfortable pulling 67 pounds with my bow. The problem came when I was out hunting for the second time this season in late October, and I had a doe bust me at about 15 yards. We entered a staring contest and by the time she took her eyes off of me and I tried to pull my bow, I was drawing from an awkward position and my right arm was so tired that I COULDN'T pull my bow back. If I had stopped immediately, there would have been no problem, but I continued to try and I wouldn't give up. Well, to make a long story short, that totally screwed up my arm and I'm finally no longer having shooting pains running from my shoulder to my fingertips on a daily basis.
Learn from my mistake. Don't shoot too many pounds and only pull back when it feels right. Don't force it. []
Good luck.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:00 PM

I pitched in college and had tendinitos in my throwing shoulder. The best thing I could do was rest it. The best thing for you to do right now is to allow your shoulder to heal and begin a P.T. program if your doctor has not already prescribed one. I would reccommend waiting until you have 0 pain before you attempt to draw back your bow. No sense in re injuring your shoulder just to shoot a few. I would say you are looking at 2-3 months before you can shoot. But I'm not a doctor either!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 AM

100% ask your doc, don't worry about what we have to say about it.
Amen!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:02 PM

I hd the same surgery and was shooting 60# after 6 months