Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kids First Bow

Old 02-08-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Kids First Bow

My sons 9th birthday is coming up next month and I have been thinking about gettting him his first bow. I thought maybe some of you guys and/or gals had bought one for your kids and could lend some advice. He is approximately 48" and weighs 70 lbs. Though most youth bows are adjustable, I am not sure what to expect for draw length or even how many pounds he would be able to pull. I have seen the Genesis bow but it's a little more than I want to spend. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again
Old 02-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Kids First Bow

I'll try to offer some help.
First off, determine if he is left eye or right eye dominate. That will save you some trouble down the road. To do this, have him stand about 10 feet away from you with his arms straight out, fingers pointing up and palms facing you. Have him overlap his fingers to create a small hole above the thumbs. While he looks at you through the hole have him slowly bring his hands back to his face. You will notice when he gets near his eyes the hands will go either towards the right eye or left eye. Thats the dominate eye.

A real simple method to check his draw lenght is to once again have him hold his arms straight out but this time palms together. Take a yard stick and measure the distance between his throat and tips of his fingers.

Draw weight is the toughest to determine because I don't know how strong he is.

There a lot of good youth bows on the market, almost all the manufactures have them. The biggest thing is getting one that fits him and has the range of adjustments as he continues to grows. I like the Browning Micro Midas. I've bought 2, A LH for my son and pick up a RH at a yard sale for neighbor kids who come over to shoot. The current MM3 has a draw weight range of 20 to 30 lbs. which should work for you and it has a draw length of 18" to 28" which will keep him slinging arrows as he grows. The instructions on making adjustments are real easy to read and understand.

I'm not sure what your price range might be but Cabela's has package deals you might like and Ebay has a lot of new youth bows.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:18 PM

The genesis or how ever you spell it is bad i had one not worth it. The browning bows are nice one of friend shoots the micro midas he's 14 i know another kid who shoots a browning dont know what but he's smaller than your kid.Another choice could be the Alpine archerys childs bow.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

One sugestion is the Hoyt Banshee. They look and feel like a "real'" adult bow, not a cheep toy. I found two, a 20 lb. and a 40 lb. ON SALE at Gander Mountain for $99.00 each. I think regular price was $180 each. They are great little bows. Its great to see the young kids enjoying the sport
Old 02-09-2005, 06:12 AM

I had a Bear when I was a kid. Never killed anything with it. But I thought it was a good bow.