Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What constitutes a shooter to you?? >

What constitutes a shooter to you??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What constitutes a shooter to you??

Old 02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What constitutes a shooter to you??

Interested to see what some of you have to say here....

How do you personally decided if a particular buck is a shooter or not? Lets hear it..... Explain what constitutes a shooter to you.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:31 PM

Default RE: What constitutes a shooter to you??

any doe that walks by, shoot her. Otherwise, 3 1/2 yrs old, at least an 8 pt. If I can tell it is a button buck, let him go. You didn't tell us what your definition is.....
Old 02-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mobowhuntr

The only shot I will take is at a mature animal whether it be buck or doe. Although in the past I have taken two severly injured deer that were not mature animals, a fawn button buck and a fawn doe.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Any doe over 80lbs

Bucks, mature buck, score is iffy, but I can tell you down here I will shoot just about any deer that breaks the 110 mark. I might pass a 115 class buck is he looks very young, but don't bet the house on it. If hunting in IL, etc, I would consider any P&Y deer to be a shooter.

Were talking bows here..........guns would be much higher
Old 02-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

I try to only take mature does and any buck that has atleast 3 points on a side is gonna get shot at.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:02 PM

I've shot 6 pointers and passed on eights...sometimes I just don't know til the moment of truth what I'm going to do.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on where I am hunting. I will not shoot a fawn anywhere though.

When I hunt in Vermont, I will absolutely shoot a 1 1/2 year doe, but will pass on a 1 1/2 year buck during archery because I know I will get a shot at a doe if I put the time in. The horns on a 1 1/2 year animal mean nothing to me so I might as well let him go and shoot a doe instead because a 1 1/2 year animal is simply meat in my eyes. In Vermont, a buck that is 2 1/2 years is a shooter IMHO though, you don't see many that old at all up there, maybe once every 3 years if you actually put time in (pretty sad). I am allowed to shoot 2 archery deer in VT though per year, if I fill my first tag with a doe I won't fill the other unless it is a buck. I let a lot of does walk this way usually. If I didn't grow up hunting there, and it wasn't tradition with friends and family, I wouldn't bother to be honest. The tags are cheap though.

In PA when I hunt, I also won't shoot fawns either........but would shoot a 1 1/2 year doe and will not shoot a buck unless it is at least 100" class. The rule on my fathers farm down in PA is 8 points, or a deer that looks wider than it's ears (basically a 3 1/2 year).

I don't shoot many bucks these days, only 3 in the last 5 years but I always have venison and end up spending more time in the woods this way anyhow which I really like lots. I used to tag out in the first week almost every year, and then not be able to go out but now I spend more time out there which is what I like most.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a bow ill take any deer that walks by unless it really small but yea im not real picky, you cant eat the antlers anyway.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

bucks 150 or better; 140 8pt would prob. get a close look. Any mature mutant cull buck

All does are fair game.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:41 PM

I have not shot a deer yet. I will shoot a mature doe or a mature buck. As long as it is over 4 points and a 12" spread it is legal. If a 1 1/2 year old deer had 8 points, I would let him grow. If a 4 year old deer had 5 points, he's mine.

Quick Reply: What constitutes a shooter to you??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.