Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Binocs  or Spotting Scope >

Binocs or Spotting Scope

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binocs or Spotting Scope

Old 01-20-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Binocs or Spotting Scope

I am getting my tax refund back and i expect it to be about $300. I really need a new pair of Binocs but i could also use a spotting scope. I never take optics with me in the field while hunting because i hunt a very thick timber and the deer are on top of you befor you could even think about picking up the binocs. The reason i need a good pair is because i do a lot of looking for deer out of my truck. Any opinions on which i should buy please let me know. I also would like to hear from you guys which brands would be the best. Thanks in advance.

Kyle.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Default RE: Binocs or Spotting Scope

l if your looking for them from your truck, I would get a spotting scope with a window mount. Dont know which brand is better than any other but I have always had good luck with Bushnell. Stay away from Tasco.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Window mount spotting scope is a sure bet for glassing deer from your vehicle. Binoculars work, but the extra power and stability of a fixed scope are worth thier wieght in gold.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:29 PM

I absolutely hate spotting scopes. unless something unfortunate has happened you have 2 eyes I say use them. A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a pair of 20X80 binocs. These were the best things I've ever spotted with. They have the same mount as your spot scope but no eye strain.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:37 PM

A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a pair of 20X80 binocs. These were the best things I've ever spotted with.
Yeah, but who can afford the good ones? I to would perfer a set of 20 x 80's but they cost twice as much as a good spotting scope.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 PM

His bushnel binocs 20X80 were 435.00 and worked better than any spotting scope I've used.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I say binoculars. Here is my primary rational. Binoculars allow a much wider field of view plus the flexibility to allow you to take them with you if you eventually do decide to use them while hunting and/or pick a different type of terrain to hunt out of.

I also tend to prefer 8x binoculars as opposed to 10x for several reasons.

1. They provide a larger depth of field meaning that objects in front of and behind what you have the binocular focused on will be more than likely focused as well....within a reasonable distance of the focused object. 10x binoculars do not allow for this as much as 8x binoculars do. This could be important, especially at short ranges since an animal could enter your field of view either closer or farther away than the distance that you have the binocular focused for.

2. 8x generally provides a wider field of view (when all else is equal).

3. An 8x binocular tends to provide a larger exit pupil. (Again, assuming all else is equal.) If you were to hold a set of binoculars out in front of you and look at the eyepiece then you would notice a small circle of light. That circle is the exit pupil and the diameter of it is measured in millimeters. Exit pupil is measured by dividing the magnification into the objective diameter. For example, a 7x35 binocular would have an exit pupil of 5 mm.

This is important for a few reasons but probably the most important as it relates to hunting is the fact that a larger exit pupil allows more light to reach your eye thus giving you a brighter image. For hunting I would not go with an exit pupil lower than 4 mm....5 would be even better for low light situations. For an 8x binocular this translates into needs to using at least a 32 mm objective or, even better, a 42 mm objective.

4. It is much less difficult to hold an 8x image steady versus a 10x image. On one of the websites I frequent the analogy for trying balance a 10 foot pole versus an 8 foot one is used. This is a fair comparison since it relates directly to the level of difficulty of holding an 10x versus an 8x image steady.

As for specific models, in the $300 price range I would suggest the Bushnell Legend, Nikon Monarch, Pentax HR II and possibly the Wind River Olympics. All sell for right around the $300 mark at Cabelas though they can be found for somewhat less at various internet optic sites.

Hope this helps.....and sorry for rambling...but ya asked.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are glassing from the truck , I would sugest 8x50s or 10x50s , The 50s are going to be much clearer and brighter than smaller binos , and you are in the truck anyway so its not like you are carying them all over the place . As for brand , I like lepole olimpics , the others in this price range dont even come close to their quality . If your well to do , look at zeiss , and swarovski's .

For me 10x50 lepole olimpics would be the first Id look at .
Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

IMO, binoculars are very close behind your bow on the "must have"
list for bowhunting. I don't think some hunters realize how helpful
and important they are. A spotting scope would be nice, however
I think it's much further down the "list".

As far as brand....spend every dollar you can afford to spend. Remember
this should be a lifetime investment.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Thank you all for the great input. I still am not sure what i want. I think the best bet for me would be to drive to Cabelas and just start looking. Hopefully they will let me take the optics outside so i can get a fell for what they will be outside instead of in a store.

Thanks Again,

Kyle.

Quick Reply: Binocs or Spotting Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.