HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Binocs or Spotting Scope
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 05:45 AM
PABowhntr
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Binocs or Spotting Scope

I say binoculars. Here is my primary rational. Binoculars allow a much wider field of view plus the flexibility to allow you to take them with you if you eventually do decide to use them while hunting and/or pick a different type of terrain to hunt out of.

I also tend to prefer 8x binoculars as opposed to 10x for several reasons.

1. They provide a larger depth of field meaning that objects in front of and behind what you have the binocular focused on will be more than likely focused as well....within a reasonable distance of the focused object. 10x binoculars do not allow for this as much as 8x binoculars do. This could be important, especially at short ranges since an animal could enter your field of view either closer or farther away than the distance that you have the binocular focused for.

2. 8x generally provides a wider field of view (when all else is equal).

3. An 8x binocular tends to provide a larger exit pupil. (Again, assuming all else is equal.) If you were to hold a set of binoculars out in front of you and look at the eyepiece then you would notice a small circle of light. That circle is the exit pupil and the diameter of it is measured in millimeters. Exit pupil is measured by dividing the magnification into the objective diameter. For example, a 7x35 binocular would have an exit pupil of 5 mm.

This is important for a few reasons but probably the most important as it relates to hunting is the fact that a larger exit pupil allows more light to reach your eye thus giving you a brighter image. For hunting I would not go with an exit pupil lower than 4 mm....5 would be even better for low light situations. For an 8x binocular this translates into needs to using at least a 32 mm objective or, even better, a 42 mm objective.

4. It is much less difficult to hold an 8x image steady versus a 10x image. On one of the websites I frequent the analogy for trying balance a 10 foot pole versus an 8 foot one is used. This is a fair comparison since it relates directly to the level of difficulty of holding an 10x versus an 8x image steady.

As for specific models, in the $300 price range I would suggest the Bushnell Legend, Nikon Monarch, Pentax HR II and possibly the Wind River Olympics. All sell for right around the $300 mark at Cabelas though they can be found for somewhat less at various internet optic sites.

Hope this helps.....and sorry for rambling...but ya asked.