Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow setups for turkeys? >

Bow setups for turkeys?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow setups for turkeys?

Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bow setups for turkeys?

A few questions here as I am pondering making a switch and calling gobblers this spring with bow in hand.

Are mechs the over whelming prefered head?
Does anyone just use their deer hunting setup?
Can one have too much KE for turkeys?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow setups for turkeys?

I use pretty much the same setup for turkey's ,except for my broadhead's ,I use the Spitfire 100gr Gobbler Getter's with the Muzzy grasshopper's .The grasshopper's stop the arrow from passing through the bird .I'd also like to reccommend a ground blind since these bird's see movement so well and it's pretty darn hard to fool them .I hunted with a ground blind last season and it worked great the bird's were coming in all around my blind .They did notice the blind and were checking it out pretty good but it never spooked them .

nubo
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

When hunting from one of my DB blinds I use a bow set at 65-70 lbs and a huge mechanical, like Rocket's sledgehammer. I want to inflict as much damage as possible...these are tough birds!

When hunting without a blind I use a different bow set at 55-58 lbs and a 'lesser' mechanical, sometimes with a adder point behind the broadhead, like NAP's Spitfire. At this poundage I can draw my bow slowly and hold at fulldraw much longer.

Location is everything when it comes to taking turkeys with a arrow. Don't think just because he's got a arrow in him that the game is over. I've lost two longbeards that flew away with my arrow, so know that he can, and will, fly away if the shot is off.

Here are 3 BH's I've had success with.
* Rocket Sledgehammer -150 grains w/3 1/2" cut
* Rocket Hammerhead 4 blade -108 grains w/2" cut
* NAP Spitfire -100 grains w/1 1/2" cut ...adder point weighs 25 grains
Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

i shoot my whitetail setup also. 63# Q2....Different broadheads. I have had success with rocket 4bld miniblaster w. pathfinder point and Rocket sidewinders.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:35 PM

Same setup as deer hunting but with vortex 100 grain 2 inch cut broadheads. I also fletch the arrows with darker feathers so they dont see my normally bright fletching.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Use your normal deer hunting bow, it will work fine! Too much KE? Well no.....can you ever have too much KE? It just means you can use a much larger mechanical to really whack that bird!