Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you guys do it???? >

How do you guys do it????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys do it????

Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you guys do it????

It took me several years to hook up with the spots I have now. I was lucky when I started hunting to have access to land that did allow me to see some deer starting out. Through trial and error I have been able to trade up to land with very little hunting preasure and if you do it right the deer won't change their habits. They do the same thing on a regular bases.

This year I had more time on my hand so I processed my buck into sausage instead of giving him away. I enjoyed what little I kept. Next year I plan on doing more but I am basically going to raise the critters myself. I'm going to do what a farmer does without the farm. I plan on putting up a feeder in the middle of my target range. All through the summer I will practice shooting my decoys but come hunting season and I will shoot the deer as I have time to process them. It's very effective if you want the deer meat to eat.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

24/7...365 I am definitely obsessed and love the challenge.
I think a person has to decide how much time they are willing
to put forth. There are no shortcuts, at least I haven't found any.
There are so many things that are important to consistently taking
these marvelous animals with a bow, but I believe the amount of off-season work a hunter puts in has to be at or near the top of the list.
I'll spend between 20-30 days between now and mid-April scouting
and prepping trees for next fall. If you are fortunate to hunt land that
holds mature deer now is the time for homework to be done, not
next fall. This way things are not disturbed in-season and it's just a
matter of "tree time".

Experience is another overlooked factor IMO. I've been fortunate to
close the deal on some real nice bucks, but if I'd known in the beginning, what I know now...wow. Knowing the importance of background cover while in the stand, when to come to fulldraw, and not to
get out of the stand until there is ZERO light. All 3 of these things
cost me B&C bucks my first few yearsall inside of 20 yards. I've never had a 4th opportunity, but if I do....I'll be ready this time.

Though I've only touched on a few of the things I believe are necessary,
one more to add-"mental and physical toughness". If it were easy, everyone would have walls filled with trophys. It's suppose to be tough...that is why we love it! When the rut is happening, you have to hunt hard even when you're tired. That 2-3 week window is over in a flash. All day hunts during the rut are a 'dream come true', but I know few other bowhunters who do it. I always say 'there will be plenty of time to rest after the season'.

Well it's late and I've started to ramble a bit, however, I hope reading this will be helpful to someone who's just getting started in the pursuit of these incredible animals.

TB
Old 01-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been doing this for (2005 starts my 49th year) of Bowhunting only. I chased 3 very good Bucks all season-I have learned much over these years-NEVER got a shot at any of them BUT I had 9 different lesser bucks (2 very good 8s) from 15 yards to a few feet several different times. Never had one of the three within 50 yards. Took 1 Doe (1st since 1980) & passed on many more. My last day of season I had 9 Does pass right past my stand & feed in picked corn for more than an hour (all from a few feet to 20 yards away) & I still had a bonus Antlerless tag. I didn't take any as I was hoping one of the good bucks would show. Never did, I climbed down & start back-20 yards from my stand I look up & there stands one of the big 10s broadside. 20 yards away-I go through all the motions & say "Next Year, Big Boy". You will always keep learning & they will always keep you guessing. Thats the joy of Bowhunting, enjoy it.