Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how can a crossbow be easier ? >

how can a crossbow be easier ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how can a crossbow be easier ?

Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 PM

Default how can a crossbow be easier ?

I just bought a lower end Hoyt bow and started shooting. The draw was a bit short out of the box and the peep really high. I was shooting 3-5 inch groups at 20-25 yards from the start. Once I get the peep and draw fit to my shooting, I expect 3-5" groups all the way out to 30 yards and slightly larger groups to 40 yards. Very little practice with this bow and those results whisper quiet, easy draw, can hold for a long time, accurate, lightweight, good speed

How can a crossbow be easier than this ?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how can a crossbow be easier ?

My shoulder is messed up, and I can't draw back any bow. But with two hands, I can cock a crossbow. It's easier for me.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

you don't need to draw a crossbow in the presence of a deer.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 PM

you don't need to draw a crossbow in the presence of a deer.
Define "presence" ? Is that truly all that seperates the crossbow from a compound and determines the ferrocity in which people seem to hate them ? (see the other thread going on crossbows)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is easier to kill a deer with a crossbow since it's already drawn and you don't have to anchor etc. etc. I will be the first to admit I don't think the two accomplishments are equal and there is an even greater disparity, IMO, between guns and bows. BUT...................I think it's a whole new ball game when I let my "predjudice" or elitism convince me that I have the right to decide how others should be able to hunt. JMO
Old 01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are several reasons that a crossbow is easyer.

1 sight it in ,practice a little to know the drop at different ranges and for get it till you want to hunt .Nothing to practice ,just pull the trigger when the sights or red dot is on the target.
2 After the sights are set or the red dot is sighted in it stays sighted in over the summer . Just shoot a few bolts to refresh your memorey of drop.
3 With the electric or crank cockers ,even some one that has little arm strength can hunt ,just have to hold up the crossbow.
4 It is easyer to be accurate with a stock , sights and not having to hold the string back .
5 It takes less movement to raise the crossbow and pull the trigger than to draw a bow.

I hunt with a bow most of the time ,but also use a crossbow .
Last year hurt my shoulder and could not pull my bow for 6 weeks ,so I hunted with my crossbow.
But with a crossbow it is a lot harder to still hunt heavy cover or standing corn.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

This debat reminds me of the great motorcycle debat, you know, the one that says if you dont ride a harley, you aint a real biker. Come on now, what does it matter what you ride or what you shoot,( gun, bow, cross bow,blackpowder) just get out and do it.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM

I don't think I do mind what other archers use. I just got this compound, haven't shot one really in three or four years and I can shoot it every bit as good as I ever could before. The ease and simplicity of the compound bow is amazing to me, it really is. I sight it in, don't have to practice anymore than I would with a crossbow it never gets out of tune or sight anymore so than a crossbow, I use a trigger .......... I just watched the other thread and I cannot see how this hunting weapon can be considered harder than a crossbow, I really don't. I was going to join in on the other thread but wanted to wait until I recieved this bow in to see if it was hard to shoot. Its not by any means.

So why not allow a crossbow in light of a compound being so easy to shoot ? The argument all along has been not allow crossbows becasue they are easy right ? Compounds are ridiculously easy too so don't allow them now or ?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 PM

Delivering the arrow on target is easier with a crossbow. The rest of the crossbow hunting experience should work the same as vertical bow hunting. IMO the two main reasons that people fight crossbows so rabidly are either;

New=Bad

or

The Clubhouse Theory- We have it, we don't want to share it, go away.

Do what you like. As silentassassin said it isn't up to us to decide what another hunter should use. If it is safe and humane it is a valid hunting tool. Have fun!
Old 01-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The average archery kill shot is less than 20 yards. The act of drawing the bow when the deer is that close is probably the hardest part of archery hunting. Yes with the let off you can draw slightly ahead of time, but still must hold at full draw manually. Relax your draw 1/2 inch and letdown WILL happen. Most bows weigh at least 4 lbs - after a few seconds of holding this weight at full draw the bow arm starts to tire and the shot begins to break down. Aftert 30 seconds your chance of maintaining form, accuratley aiming and releasing a good shot becomes less likely. If the deer spots you, the draw cannot be held indefinately - you will move and spook them.

These are a few of the things that make a xbow much easier to KILL with. Since it is drawn and locked ahead, you can rest it well before the deer is in range and hold forever to wait for the shot. You could even lay prone and wait - probably the most accurate way to shoot a "stocked" weapon. Try that with a compound!

To be successful. a xbow shooter must be a good hunter - you still have to set up close where there are deer. However a good hunter will be far more deadly with a weapon that allows minimal movement when the deer comes in range. A xbow does that - a compound does not.

Steve

Quick Reply: how can a crossbow be easier ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.