Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how can a crossbow be easier ? >

how can a crossbow be easier ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how can a crossbow be easier ?

Old 01-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how can a crossbow be easier ?

Also you may be good at shooting a compound in your yard with a shirt on. Climb a tree, sit there for hours in 20-30 degree weather with bulky clothes on and still see how accurate you are. None of that matters with an Xbow.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:33 PM

rybohunter - Why wouldn't it matter with a crossbow ? I shot this afternoon with heavy shirt and shot even better than last night.

I took the sight off, lowered the peep myself its easy to adjust a compound.

I've killed a few deer before with a compound. I never waited until the deer was within 20 yards to draw. I always drew before the deer was in my presence, held and then shot when it developed.

If the draw is all the difference, then what argument can recurve shooters put forth against compounds ?

My arrows aren't the right lenght, probably not the right spine and I'm certain I could take the bow I first shot yesterday, adjusted today and kill a deer in the morning with it.

Crossbows are easier than that ?

Really ?
Old 01-13-2005, 04:43 PM

We're honored by your presence!
Old 01-13-2005, 04:48 PM

HaGar43 - you shouldn't be. A guy at work picked my bow up and shot it better than I did ! I'm an average guy shooting a high tech bow that is unbelievable in how it shoots. I simply draw, put the pin on the target and pull the trigger.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Also you may be good at shooting a compound in your yard with a shirt on. Climb a tree, sit there for hours in 20-30 degree weather with bulky clothes on and still see how accurate you are. None of that matters with an Xbow.

2 good points. Maybe its only me but I'v had things happen to a shot while I was all bundled up before. Ripped a button off a jacket on release that thru the shot off hit my arm with the string because of bulkyness. Neither would happen with a crossbow. Also the cold can get to me enuff that I cant draw back my primary bow, suprised the heck out of me & it was damn cold but the fact remains that that afternoon I was a deer watcher as I just couldnt draw my bow when the deer came. Again, crossbow you can cock it when your fresh & shoot it after 4 hours shivering on stand.

I'm not against hunting with them but am suprised theres actually people that think its not easier. As I said in another thread thats why they were invented in the first place.

datamax,
I too try to draw before the animal is actually where I want to shoot it but if it takes even 1 minute longer than you thought it would for it to get into your lane things get touchy. How bout 3 minutes? or 5? or 10? We all know how long a deer can stop & just stand in one spot if it decides to & when that happens sooner or later you gotta let down & in my case anyway almost always get busted.

No question, its easier to shoot & hunt with a crossbow. Does that mean its not bowhunting? Guess it depends on your definition of bowhunting.
Dunno what I'd define it as but I dont think it would turn that many new guys loose in the woods & thats what it seems most are concerened with.

I think alot of guys that ALREADY bowhunt might give it a whirl, I sure would. But someone who's never hunted or shown an interest in it before isn't likely to wake up one day & say "Crossbows are legal? Holy cow I gotta get one & kill some deer with it"
IMO you hafta be somewhat dedicated to being a hunter just to complete the bow course for hunting. Not that its a hard course but its a boring 8 hour class that IMO would be intolerable if you werent serous about it.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Raise the weapon, pick your aim point, put the crosshairs on it, flip off the safety, squeeze trigger.

Raise the weapon, hook up your release (or grab the string with your fingers) pick the correct time to draw so you won't be detected, draw, pick a spot, establish sight picture, release.

Which is the correct procedure for using a hunting bow?

Which could just as easily describe hunting with a gun?

Duh!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never mind - why ask if you don't wish to listen. Bye

steve
Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Arthur P - if there was a safety on the mechanical release everything would be equal in your scenario.

Are you suggesting that if the safety was removed from a crossbow, or added to the mechanical release, it would change the ease of use for either weapon ?

I am not arguing the legality of crossbows nor which is more comparable to gun or even if compounds should be in archery season.

All I am saying is this compound is easier to train in than my .270 a few months back and while its not as accurate as far as groups I am fairly certain I can shoot 3-5" groups right now, with 2 days of shooting it, at 30 yards and maybe beyond. Crossbows cannot be that easy, I just do not see how its possible.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

You should buy or shoot a crossbow before you say things like a compound is easier. Pick a crossbow up & shoot it & it shoots groups right off the bat. Adjust your sights & your done. Neither is true of a bow, usually anyway. Crossbows dont need tuning, no nock height adjustments, no rest adjustments nuthin, just sight it in.

You also left out a couple steps from Arthurs post, such as attaching your release & drawing the bow. Other than they both shoot arrows they are not the same. No draw length issues, the list is longer than you seem to realise. Much less clearence problems shooting from a tree or a blind.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:29 PM

Leverdude - I'll try to find a crossbow in the coming weeks to play with and report back to you and everyone my findings. If indeed I find a compound much easier to shoot, then you and Arthur P and the others will acknowledge this and rethink your stance on crossbows then ?

Quick Reply: how can a crossbow be easier ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.