Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Archery in public schools? >

Archery in public schools?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery in public schools?

Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Archery in public schools?

I remember back in 7th or 8th grade I shot a bow quit regularly in school. In fact it was one of the intermural sports or something I recall. I also know back in G. Gordon Lidy's day they sold amunition for his gun in the school store for his intemural gun shooting activity. Has anyone else been so lucky to be able to shoot in school? When was your last expirience? Mine must have been around 78 or 79.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Archery in public schools?

I am a freshmen in highschool. We start archery next week. Of course we live in a town on less than 1000 so. We are even allowed to bring our own bows and equipment. If you dont have stuff they have Genesis bows and Easton Jazz arrows for you to use. We have a range up town above our grocery store that we shoot at.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:37 PM

ya, im a sr. in highshool archery is a mandatory part of Phy ed. its crazy, and by far one of the best units.

and we actually live in a rather large town

Waukesha WI
Old 01-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im a sophmore in highschool and we did archery already, we did it for like a week. for me it was fun because im used to having sights and all that on my bow but instead you had to shoot with instinct which i thought was kinda cool.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:18 PM

i dont start Phy Ed until next quarter, but i looked at the schedule for some of the classes and archery is there. i know for sure they offer it. dunno what it entails, guess i may have to find out. town of 6000

slayer
Old 01-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went to high school in Southgate, Michigan and we had archery class, This was back in 81'- 84'! If i remember it was a Bowling, Fencing and Archery class!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

It seems a lot of the ppl here are from the upper Midwest that have had archery in school. My high school had it as a unit in one of the Phy. Ed. classes. I was pretty close to my head football coach, and his wife was one of our P.E. teachers. The coach and I always talked hunting; so when the archery unit started, she asked me to help with the instruction.....lol It was great, met a lot of new girls.....including my first wife....haha I think it's a great thing to have in the schools, and we spent the first three days of the unit going over safety.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went to school in Howland Ohio decent sized school, I had probably around 275 in my graduation class. I was a grad in 98. We had no archery related programs in my school system. What a shame[:@]
Old 01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archery is a favorite among the courses we offer at the school I teach at. I get to teach it in my one 7th and 8th combined lifetime sports class. We use recurves in the class, but I do a demo with a compound as well. The Kids love it ! We do fly fishing also. In my past Science classes we studied shed antlers during the DNA and Genetics unit.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM

Down here in NC my highschool just started up a team. I think there are about 1600 students at the school. They shoot .22's, skeet, and archery. I think there are two big tournaments like a regional and then a state. I graduated last year so I get to miss out on all the fun. However, friends I have that are still in school say they enjoy it. Its good to hear there are opportunities around to get young people like myself into archery. Had it not been for my uncle and a friend of mine, I would have never known what I was missing.

Aim small, miss small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.