Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sika Hunt Help?

Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sika Hunt Help?

Hey Guys,

Anyone know of a place in Maryland that I can hunt Sika deer. I was hoping someone has already done this and could give me a recommendation. I think that it will be cool to hunt these little Elk in the wild. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 12:02 PM

Default RE: Sika Hunt Help?

I went to the Black Watwer Refuge in Maryland a number of years ago to hunt for the little suckers. All the hunting we did was over corn feeders. One member of our group did shoot a doe, great eating, tuff to hunt. They don't pattern like a whitetail that's why the feeders. That's about all the information I have. I was the gueat of a friend and he took care of all the logistics.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:17 PM

Blackwater NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE is a great place to start. I've hunted there for the last 5 years and I can tell ya there is definitely no hunting over feeders in the Refuge. Contact Allan Johnston at (410)228-2692, ext. 120 for info on Blackwater. As far as other public hunting areas you can also check out Assateague Island. Probably one of the few places where you can hunt within a few hundred yards of the Atlantic Ocean and have a wild pony walk under your stand. Crazy! Anyway, Sika are wary little animals, but really fun animals to hunt. Rubber boots to the knee are mandatory and if you are there in the early part of the season a bug suit and/or thermacell will be required. Sika love to get their feet wet so be prepared to do the same. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, email me and I'll give you some more nfo. I hunt them quit a bit, although the 2 suggestions above are a GREAT place to start. Blackwater offers permits to hunt on the refuge, which is as good as you can get for sikas.