Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why am I not seeing deer? >

Why am I not seeing deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why am I not seeing deer?

Old 12-30-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Why am I not seeing deer?

Since the start of the gun season 11/20 I've clocked in 50 hours and have not seen a thing. Initially I thought it was only because the deer were spooked by the shotgun and muzzleloader seasons. However, they have both been over for a month now. Isn't that enough time for deer to return to their normal travel patterns?

There are 3 patches of woods I hunt/alternate with 5 total trees covering 7 total trails. Absolutely nothing moving out there for me to witness. Each time it rains or snows I see fresh new tracks all over the place. A few of these trails look like friggin deer freeways according to the amount of fresh travel I see everytime I'm out. There's fresh dropping and plenty of yellow in the snow. One of my patches of woods even has an area 50 feet from my tree where you can see where 3 deer bedded down in the snow and melted away spots.

With all this activity you would think I'd see something in the last 8-9 trips I've made. Is it normal for deer to become strict night movers after the gun seasons and stay that way for months on end? Then at the same time, I'm seeing plenty of "I got one" posts. Unless these guys are hunting prime private lands, I need a serious teachin' on what it is I'm doing that I don't know I'm doing.

7-8 trips have been morning hunts (up in tree 30min before sunrise) and 1 has been an afternoon hunt. I have various trees that allow me to play the wind depending on where it's blowing from on any particular day. I'm clean, I'm quiet, I'm using single purpose boots, I'm desperate, There are 2 days left in the season. Also if it helps, these are public lands I'm hunting in WI. Other hunters out there shouldn't be too big a factor because they were there before the gun seasons and I still saw deer. Now nothing. Any thoughts?
Old 12-31-2004, 05:15 AM

Default RE: Why am I not seeing deer?

Are there any food sources close by?
I would key in on them this time of year.
Good luck!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Buellhunter said FOOD is the key this time of the year .
Deer movement changes all season long for many reasons.
The area you are hunting may be a night movement area this time of the year.
I would find where they are feeding and place a stand on the trail between food and beding .
Good luck
Old 12-31-2004, 06:14 AM

The fact you're seeing sigh and beds near you stand I wonder about you hunting style.
Do you hunt the wind?
Practice scent control?

It sounds like the deer are there. I have a hard time believeing that they are 100% nocturnal this time of year. I'd sooner believe you're getting bussted somehow, either entering the woods or by scent. Also, do you have good cover in your stands or are you in hardwood trees that are void of leaves. Late season I prefer to be up in a pine of big spruce that gives you plenty of cover and keeps you from being "skylined".

Just a couple of things to ponder. I hope some of it will help. Stay persistent and it will happen for you!
Old 12-31-2004, 07:05 AM

Yes I do practice scent control. I do the dye/perfume free detergent thing, the scent killer bar soap thing, and the boots that go nowhere but the woods thing. I also play the wind as mentioned. I have trees on either side of the trails being guarded and make sure my scent is blowing away from the trail and not to it.

In response to what one of you guys said about my spots being night only travel routes, it's possible for 2 of the 3 patches of woods but not the 3rd. That 3rd location is on the edge of the woods overlooking a 40 yard wide straight of cornfield. -meaning: woods on both sides with a 40 wide by 200 long patch of cornfield. There is where I see the most activity of the 3 areas I hunt and corn is being freshly ripped off the cobs everytime I go out there.

As for the other 2 spots, how do I determine if there's a food source nearby if I don't see any corn or soybean fields. The woods look like the woods to me and I've never seen a single part of any forest that was all acorn trees. Any insight on this will help with next year's hunt as well and especially. This was my first year bowhunting and I didn't start until November.

At any rate, I saw deer for about 2 weeks before the shotgun and muzzleloader seasons kicked in 11/20 and lasted til 12/8. It's been pretty quite out since most people don't muzzleload hunt and the shotgun season ended 11/28. Any more thoughts? If nothing, someone at least help me out with the food source question. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:14 AM

other than finding the food source this time of year is a crap shoot compared to Oct and Nov when it comes to seeing deer. find the food
Old 12-31-2004, 07:15 AM

It sounds like you're going about it right. Scent control and playing the wind are key. I don't know how often you hunt the same stand but if you overhunt them the deer may have you patterened. IMO this isn't a problem as long as you are playing the wind. I'd try to work back up their runs toward the prime badding areas. Don't get too close so that you jump them while heading in but closer so if they are moving very late in the day you still get an opportunity at them if your land acess allows.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

dohcrxl that is the problem they are that nocternal. the same thing happened to me here in mn couldnt see them nothing but there was always tracks there. so one full moon night after a fresh snow i stayed out the after shooting hours but when u could still see man you should have seen the deer they were everywhere. still there is no use in going out to the stand before 4pm there is just nothing moving till dark. find there bedding area and try pushing them to your partner
Old 12-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

With the cold weather I'm seeing almost all the activity in the afternoon, with some midday movement. I think that is a pretty typical shift in Dec. I'd say concentrate more on the afternoons.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:22 AM

Since the start of the gun season 11/20 I've clocked in 50 hours and have not seen a thing.
Are you sure you aren't hunting in West Virginia???? LOL

Quick Reply: Why am I not seeing deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.