Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Seeking a better treestand >

Seeking a better treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Seeking a better treestand

Old 12-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Seeking a better treestand

What is youre favorite brand of treestand most comfortable,durrable and has a decent size seat and foot platform?Last week I moved one of my stands to a new location ,where I discovered a bunch of rubs.Yesterday I hunted this stand, and after only sitting for an hour it became unbearable to sit in this stand.I have had it for two years and always thought that it was the trees that I set it up in that made it so uncompfy.I have come to the conclusion it is simply the stand.when I set it up this time I tried to set it up to where it leaned back more than forward,it didn't work, it still makes me feel like I'm sliding off to the front.The seat also sits to close to the tree.This stand is an API that has a seat that swivels,I am going to sell it as well as my two loc on Lems before next season.I just won a bid on ebay for a chippewa wedge loc,and have an API babygrand that I really like.Do any of you have northern star stands?Are they any good?Thanks for any replies .Bill D>
Old 12-28-2004, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Seeking a better treestand

The wedgelok should be a good one. I use the STEEL gorillas and a lonewolf hangon. Don't use the silverbacks from gorilla. When the temps get in the teens they want to pop a little.

the lone wolf although pricey is one of my favorites and is just plain dead quiet. I also have a homemade stand design by an outfitter in Alberta that is made out of aircraft alum. it is super light and the design enables it to be set up in mult trees much like the lonewolf.

I would guess the wedge lok will be a winner. Keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be purchasing a new climber this season and after a lot of research I've been reading on the Summit stand's ,I'm sure that the Summit is going to be my choice.

nubo
Old 12-28-2004, 08:41 AM

For comfort especially when it gets really cold, I love my API babygrand. It stays quiet and has a big platform for when you have on those oversize boots. I have 2 fixed and
another 2 other API climbers. I have always had great luck and comfort with them!

Good Luck.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:24 PM

I just recently purchased a SUMMIT VIPER X4. I talked to numerous friends who own a SUMMIT and they all like theirs and recommended that I buy one. I have never owned a climbing tree stand, let alone ever use one. I had no idea how to use a climbing tree stand since I have always built permanent stands for the last 30 years. Since I was getting older now (43) I thought it was time to invest in a stand that I could take with me where ever I went hunting, since I was getting too old to hang upside down hammering nails into trees when building a permanent stand out of boards and scrap.
After buying the SUMMIT ($229 @ Cabela's) and trying it out with a hunting buddy, I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's simply the best hunting product that I have bought in all my hunting.
It's so easy to climb with, it's quiet, fast EASY and most of all SAFE. I am a bigger fellow, I'm 6'3" and weigh 270 pounds and let me tell you, climbing with a SUMMIT VIPER X4 is as easy as walking to and from your vehicle.
I recommend a SUMMIT to anyone who thinking about buying a climbing tree stand, YOU WON'T GO WRONG.
Good luck and be safe.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Nubo, Mason,You guys are right summit stands are great.I have the bushmaster climber,and havent used it one time this seasonBut it is a dandy.Mason I'm one of those little guys too(6'5" and a bisquit shy of 300)[:-]I've had it for 3 or four years now,and only used it about 5 or six times.Also back when I bought it Davidmil gave us the heads up on welds cracking on this stand.I harvested a deer with it down state,and checked when I got home sure enough Dave was right.I e-mailed Summit and the pres of the company,e-mailed me back and sent me a brand new one in the box.They didn't want the harnes back and gave me anotherIt still impresses me how the pres of the co e-mailed me back.Anyhow UPS just dropped off my new/used Chippewa wedgloc a few min ago,man I tell you what this thing is unbelievable.Also this one is made for taller hunters yeahI am still wanting to get two others to replace two of my other three hang ons.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Shhhhh Baby grand is a darn good stand too,I also have that oneit is a real compfy stand and nice platform.You guys are probably thinking that I must have about 1000$invested in stands,whell your probably right.I have enough in the woods to be at dif locaztions when the wind is right.On my father inlaws place he doesn't want any permament stands.The climber can be nice but it gets to be a burden walking in and out of the woods with it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:09 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...712&hasJS=true
Old 01-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Well I got to hunt out of the wedge loc for the first time tonight ,man what a nice stand.It was so easy to tote out to the woods ad well as hang.I may have to get another one or two.If any of you are going to buy a new stand for next season,you may want to check one of these out ,it is rock solid,and I was able to sit it this stand for a long while without my usuall fidgeting from getting sore.