Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting! >

West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Old 12-29-2004, 09:36 PM

Default RE: West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

There are too many deer allowed killed in WV.With 9 or 10 or how many ever deer you are allowed i dont really know,there will not be any deer left for our kids to hunt. very bad management.
You are so right Goshen Guy. Maybe one of these days when there are no deer left people will listen, trouble is, that will be too late. West Virginia's DNR is nothing but a JOKE!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:30 PM

Disregard......................
Old 12-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2004, 08:14 AM

http://newsandsentinel.com/edit/stor...edt1229dnr.asp
Old 12-31-2004, 12:21 PM

I am thankful that I live 10 minutes away from the 4 bow hunting only counties here in WV. The deer population is low but the buck to doe ratio is 2:1. With all 4 of these counties being bow hunting only the bucks get the chance to fully mature and most die of old age. I just hope that the DNR doesn't fool around with these 4 counties and open any kind of gun season. If they do they will ruin probably the best big buck, bow hunting only on public land hunting in the US. If you keep the orange army at bay, you can see bucks like in the trail cam photo below on 100% public land! It's amazing how big these mountain deer can get if you just let the bucks live long enough to mature.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:55 PM

Amen brother..........Amen
Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 AM

Just what I've been telling you.........Isn't it about time?
http://sundaygazettemail.com/section...ters/200501014
Old 01-02-2005, 10:43 AM

http://www.dominionpost.com/a/sports/2005/01/02/bg/
Old 01-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Spike

We don't need AR in WV nor do we want them. AR do not increase the size of antlers. They increase the age of bucks. And older deer have bigger antlers. Very simple. PA had to do something drastic to reduce their yearling buck harvest. We don't. All we have to do is reduce the buck limit to 1-2 bucks instead of 5 and more bucks will carry over to another year. As for the doe situation it depends where you hunt. I live in northern panhandle and there seems to be a deer behind every tree. Other places may have fewer deer.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:04 PM

Masonsridge is the only one who posted something remotely close to the root of the problem. West Virginia makes a boat-load of cash from out of state hunting licenses. I'm certain that there is enormous pressure from the state government to keep revenues coming in. Unfortunately West Virginia government is looking at the short term and ignoring the long-term effects. Yes, population ratios in the vast majority of West Virginia are out of whack but WV is a hot bed for out-of-staters from MD, VA, OH, PA, and KY. If it is not the number one state in the union for out-of-state hunting licenses, I'm sure it's in the top five. The out of state hunters like WV because they "see" a lot of deer and they have very liberal bag limits. Considering the potential for vast kill-offs during rough winters, the liberal limits (year in and year out) should be scrutinized.
For another short-sighted example in WV, take the timber industry. One day "Wild and Wonderful" will be replaced with "Timbered to Death".

Quick Reply: West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.