Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting! >

West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Old 12-29-2004, 12:48 PM

Default RE: West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

ORIGINAL: MasonsRidge

I totally agree with you "dsheally", you are exactly right! As for you "jetblast", you need to get out of the hole you have been hunting in and go hunt on some public property to see what most of us are talking about.

That "hole" I'm hunting in as you mentioned was the Hughes River WMA. Last I read, that is public land. Me and my bud scouted on one day (1st time ever set foot) and we both stuck deer within the next two days. I saw plenty deer on private land going to/from and on WMA land. So I don't know what your problem is.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:33 PM

No problem "Jet", just trying to explain that something needs to be done concerning our hunting in this great state. Congrads and best of luck in the coming seasons.
Be safe.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:36 PM

I have hunted WestVirginia for 25 years now. I have never
seen the deer population as low as it is now. Three of us hunted in rifle season
together and in 2 hard days of hunting we saw 2 deer. I myself stand hunted in
various locations and saw no deer in 2 days were in years past I would have seen
50 to 75 deer in 2 days of hunting. No doubt in my mind in Grant county where I hunt
the numbers are way down do to over harvesting, poaching, predators, etc., etc.
Now if we shoot all the does we can what happens to the fawns that were to be born
in the spring? Yep, gone as well. That is what does are left now which are not many
now.
That is EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: MasonsRidge

No problem "Jet", just trying to explain that something needs to be done concerning our hunting in this great state. Congrads and best of luck in the coming seasons.
Be safe.
I understand M.R. From my eyes and growing up in WV and then bowhunting in 5 different states successfully and talking to alot of other hunters, quantity does not mean quality. Plus nature has a way of cycling up and down. I'd rather see one nice deer than 5-10 so-so. Either way, we both love those whitetails! And good luck to you too.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#803650
Old 12-29-2004, 07:30 PM

I have seen plenty of deer this year but, I think the limit should be 5 deer a year.Bucks should be 3 to 4 pts on one side and bring does season back the way it used to be.3 days and 1 doe per year with gun. 2 should be limit with bow, 2 gun and 1 muzzle load.This late in year should not be does season. Deer already pregnant.. Gun season should be buck season with a seperate 3 day does season.There are too many deer allowed killed in WV.With 9 or 10 or how many ever deer you are allowed i dont really know,there will not be any deer left for our kids to hunt. very bad management.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

However, I can't really speak for other areas of the state...but around where I hunt...it doesn't matter what the laws are. Nobody follows them anyhow. They shoot whatever they want, in season or out, and numbers don't matter. They don't care, they aren't checking them in anyhow. So the problem lies not so much totally on the DNR, but on the slobs that hunt.
And that, fellow wv'ians, is the single biggest reason for the lack of deer. I can give an example of 25 does shot and left in a pile that were shot off crop damage permits. We called the DNR on them, and their response was "they are their deer to do as they please as long as they were legally taken". [:@]
Old 12-29-2004, 08:30 PM

I still say y'all have it good. What folks down here say is good, would be mediocre (what I think you are experiencing) for you. Georgia has a great population, but my best bud that has come up for the last 3 years of bowseason is in awe. Again, quantity is not quality. But please, appreciate what you have.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:33 PM

Oh and one other thing, if you know of a poacher and don't report it, you are part of the problem, not the solution. Sticking your head in the sand is not an option. You just need to inform the correct level of attention at the right time. Don't stop until you get the results you need.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and one other thing, if you know of a poacher and don't report it, you are part of the problem, not the solution.
I agree, but then again, THE problem, is the fact that the DNR just doesnt care.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 PM

Don't stop until you get the results you need.....................push the level.

Quick Reply: West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.