Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 check out my nifty map! >

check out my nifty map!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

check out my nifty map!

Old 12-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: check out my nifty map!

Nice Map bscofield,
This is my hunting map, It's 4X6 miles & has all of the property on it I hunt. I had to compress it to get it on here, that's why it looks like crap! I made it using my graphics pro, I've got many.. many.. hours in this map, I used arial photos & many trips afield to complete it. All of the fields are accurate w/the corn/beans & such. I also made little icons for my graphics program to use to mark when, where & at what times I observe deer movement. It's still not quite done as you can see but, it works for now. The lower portion is a crop of the actual size of the map, I can make it bigger if I like.
Good Luck, Phil B.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the Arial photo of the same area.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

bs - did you put the locations on the map at the mapmart site? I have been looking for a site that does that to enter in GPS locations.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

doughboy, when I got to mapmart.com I click on aerial photography on the top right menu system. Then I click on Begin Search under the U.S. Aerial Photography section. After that you have your map to begin browsing. Then if you click on "Display Coordinates" on the bottom of all the toolbars on the left then the coordinates (longitude/latitude) will be displayed on your mouse when it's on the map. I think that's the closest thing to using the coordinates that I know of.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:37 AM

Sweet map and even sweet piece to hunt. I look at that map and drool.

What are the contour intervals?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

adams, what are contour intervals?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:56 AM

The distance in elevation between each of the lines on the topo map. They are usually 10 or 25 or 50 feet between each line. I was just drooling over you woods. The grass is always greener(just look at those funnels!)
Old 12-23-2004, 10:00 AM

being a beginner could one of yall please help me. I have my airial pulled up with coordinates. on my GPS they read N 30 degrees 32.130, on the mapmart it reads 30.536. i know its probally a dumb question but how do you read these #'s. Thanks
Old 12-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Sniper,

You totally rock! I was looking at aerial and topo maps on TerraServer.com, but MapMart is so much better. I like the way they highlight things like roads and rivers on the aerials.

I also like the way you combined the two. I was sitting here just looking at one, then the other and it was tough as you know what. I'm going to try and super impose them over each other like you did tonight!

I know I've got deer on my land, and I suspect BIG deer judging by the tracks and countryside. Heck, the biggest deer in the State was harvested just in the county beside me.

Maybe y'all can help me look over things and decide where I should be hunting.

I'll let y'all know more...
Old 12-28-2004, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bscofield...What I did was opened to sessions of internet explorer. and put both of them on mapmart.com. I moved to the location of my hunting site. This site uses certain map positions and size that it will default to if your just click to zoom in. Since the topo and the aerial defaulted to the same size, I downloaded them both.
That's what I've done too! I've got the maps down to 1.06 miles. Is that about what you had?

ORIGINAL:...Next is where photoshop comes into play. I took one image and placed it onto of the other one (the topo is on top) and made it 34% visible thereby letting the other bleed through and seeing details on both. There are more programs than just photoshop that do this but I'm not sure what other ones there are by name.
Now this is where I'm lost. I've got Photoshop on my PC, but I've never really used it. I've got the two pics in seperate files. The topo is one bmp. The aerial is another bmp. What I can't figure out how to combine the two. I can't figure out how to add a layer, that menu is grayed out to me. Can you help me bscofield?

Quick Reply: check out my nifty map!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.