Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it ethical?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Is it ethical?

I was wondering how everyone comes down on this. In the last month or so we have been going through some ethics questions, why do you hunt and how long without a deer. I hunt in an area where the deer are truely out of control. I have several yards that herds (1-3 dozen sometimes more) come through daily some 3 times a day (really they never leave the general area they just wonder back and forth. They went unlimited this year begging the bow hunters to kill as many Does as possible.

Here is the question, is it unethical to not kill Does like they want you to and only enjoy the hunt without the kill? If I start to kill the Does, they will begin to change their patterns hence screwing up my hunting spots. They will reroute themselves through other yards where I may not have access. It will obviously reduce the number of deer in the area. How would I have the time to handle a ton of dead deer. Even Hunters for The Hungry want the deer skinned and quartered.

I pose this because some hunt to control a heathy population. Some say they hate it when deer have been hit by cars.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:15 AM

Default RE: Is it ethical?

Wow...wish I had the problem of too many deer!

As a matter of ethics, no I don't think that is unethical. But shooting a doe or two would (with a bow) most likely not cause them to change their patterns IMO. I'd just spread the kills out a little bit and see how the deer respond.

You are planning on eating whatever you harvest right?
Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 AM

Here in MO they have too many doe's as well . it is up too you what you kill but killing doe's will help out the herd.and with a bow it proble will not change there movement.if you move around and space out your kill's becase you never know what mite make them move something you have nothing to do with could change there movements
Old 12-19-2004, 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

In the last month or so we have been going through some ethics questions, why do you hunt and how long without a deer.
What does how long you have hunted without a deer have to do with ethics?

If I start to kill the Does, they will begin to change their patterns hence screwing up my hunting spots. They will reroute themselves through other yards where I may not have access. It will obviously reduce the number of deer in the area.

Your problem stems from selfishness..........not ethics.

You KNOW you should be killing the does and helping to reduce the deer numbers......especially in a place where they are "out of control".........You just choose not to because it may effect YOU negatively.

You know what is the "right" thing to do.........you just won't do it for selfish reasons.

David and Len kill them by the truckload every year and it doesn't seem to effect them.

Don't you have anyone you could hunt with??

I really have never seen a guy like you who views a downed deer as such a burden of work..........why not bring someone with you who might not have such a nice place to hunt and let them do all the work in return??

A farmer in my area just kicked all the hunters off his property that have been hunting it for years............they are done. He is gonna replace them with other hunters that HAVE to agree to kill some does each year. These guys were just sitting there passing does all day and waiting for a big buck...........great for them........not great for the farmer. It got so bad and he was suffering so much damage he couldn't take it anymore.

Sometimes you have to realize that hunting serves a much greater purpose then putting decorations on your wall.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Your right Atlas, selflishness has a part to do with it but not the only part. Sure I want to get a monster and I do enjoy seeing deer. A monster is a lot easier to deal with then a Doe because you can drop it off and pick up your mount. The taxidermist get's rid of the meat in the community.

Dealing with a kill is not a trivial task in itself. In the last several years, so many check in stations have shut down and next year it will be replaced by a phone in one. It's too bad it took this long to make happen. Right now, it takes a hour to get to a check in station if it's still open. Then processing a deer. To skin it and quarter it takes 15 mins. add an hour to drop it off if your giving it away. If you keep it, add a few hours to grind, stuff sausage casings, make hamburgers and steaks. I haven't even added the time in to make jerky. That can be done later but it still takes time. Add another 1/2 hour to burry whats left in the woods. This is on top of driving back home, 5 hours. I also travel for a living. It aids me in getting to great locations but it is a very time consuming animal.

There are times when I do have the time to deal with a kill. I also have choices I can make. Go to a place that usually has some great bucks walking around or go to a place that is hit & miss for bucks but a lock for does?

As far as inviting someone along. I have several times this year extended the offer to members on this board not to mention several other people. I can think of six member invites off the top of my head. No one had the time to do it. So I'm certainly not too selfish not to share what I have.

As far as David and Len. Yes they do kill quite a few and it sounds like they have done one heck of a job. I believe this fall they failed to see very many deer on their farm they hunt. At least that's what I understand. If I'm wrong sorry Dave and Len please correct me.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

The choice of what's ethical or not is always yours Fieldmouse ,
nobody else can decide that for you .

A lot of folks think that having far more does than bucks means that the ratio is "out of balance" , have any of these folks ever watched a nature show instead of a hunting show ?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Your right Atlas, selflishness has a part to do with it but not the only part. Sure I want to get a monster and I do enjoy seeing deer.
Totally understandable.........I can see exactly where you are coming from. However, you did ask the question about ethics and that usually involves a much bigger picture.

Dealing with a kill is not a trivial task in itself. In the last several years, so many check in stations have shut down and next year it will be replaced by a phone in one. It's too bad it took this long to make happen. Right now, it takes a hour to get to a check in station if it's still open.
I didn't realize you had to check them in.........that does kinda suck. I had to check in 2 of my gun kills this year but it was only 15 minutes away.

Then processing a deer. To skin it and quarter it takes 15 mins. add an hour to drop it off if your giving it away. If you keep it, add a few hours to grind, stuff sausage casings, make hamburgers and steaks. I haven't even added the time in to make jerky. That can be done later but it still takes time. Add another 1/2 hour to burry whats left in the woods. This is on top of driving back home, 5 hours. I also travel for a living. It aids me in getting to great locations but it is a very time consuming animal.
I butcher all my own deer and those of family and close friends. I have done 8 deer this year. It does take some time that is for sure..........I guess I just don't mind because if I am doing that it means I had a successful hunt and the freezer will be full.

I enjoy processing deer...........call me crazy I guess [8D]

There are times when I do have the time to deal with a kill. I also have choices I can make. Go to a place that usually has some great bucks walking around or go to a place that is hit & miss for bucks but a lock for does?
You are a lucky dude

As far as inviting someone along. I have several times this year extended the offer to members on this board not to mention several other people. I can think of six member invites off the top of my head. No one had the time to do it. So I'm certainly not too selfish not to share what I have.
Wow........that is weird.......and unfortunate.

Should have invited me

As far as David and Len. Yes they do kill quite a few and it sounds like they have done one heck of a job. I believe this fall they failed to see very many deer on their farm they hunt. At least that's what I understand. If I'm wrong sorry Dave and Len please correct me.

Actually I think you are right about that............I remember that thread now. Wonder if things changed for them?

Ethics is a double edged sword......doing what's right often comes along with personal sacrifice.

In the end it is up to you.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm on my way with 5 doe tags
Old 12-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

A monster is a lot easier to deal with then a Doe because you can drop it off and pick up your mount. The taxidermist get's rid of the meat in the community.
could you explain this, i mean here if one kills a nice one we cape it out before it ever goes to the taxi, does this bypass the check-in phase just wondering, btw we don't have a check-in or tagging system in bama[:@], looks like the taxi would have meat runnin out his ears.

I enjoy processing deer...........call me crazy I guess
i'm with you on this atlas, i look at it as a reward for my hard work, we eat alot of venison around here

you do need to kill some of those does though fieldmouse
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 AM

Didn't read the whole thread but one thing you might consider while passing all these does is that if you and other hunters don't get the does harvested the laws can change to something like antler restrictions or maybe not even being able to take a buck. That would insure that people like you would do your part to manage the herd.

Think of the consequences of your in-actions!

Quick Reply: Is it ethical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.