Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about antler Repair !!! >

Question about antler Repair !!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about antler Repair !!!

Old 12-18-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Question about antler Repair !!!

Early this season i was helping a buddy look for a wounded doe,in the seach,we got permission to track her on privite property,nobody hunts,it was dark and about ahalf mile back in i found a scull and rack of a 17 point buck nothin else but a couple of the tines was either chewed off or broke i bleached it and mounted it on a plackand put it in my bar and i would like to fix the tines on the one side with fake ones, i seen the taxidermist remake some on a mount that a tine was broke off does anyone have any info on this ...Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about antler Repair !!!

I would think that the Taxi should be able to complete it for you??? Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:54 PM

Yea but i have a mount there now and i was going to try to do this one myself the wife said no more spending money with the holidays and stuff..
Old 12-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

What's the point of having fake anything?

I've seen other people post they were going to do stuff like this too and I just don't understand the thought behind it.

I'd mount it just like it is.

It's either something you like or it's not to me. I don't need anything fake on it to make me like it or I'd never have picked it up.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Keep it the way it is. Enhances the story. Gives it character, They make replica antlers also. You can buy replica antlers of some of the history making bucks taken over the years. Very expensive. Whats the POINT ???
Old 12-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Fork Horn

Geeshe, you would think everyone wants their origional deer. So fix it I say. Something like bondo should work. Then paint it, bone color of coarse. I can't believe everybody says leave it like it is. If their arm was chewed off don't you think they would like a fake one? Make what you wan't to. Hope it turns out nice.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father mounts alot of deer horns. If a customer wants it fixed he will find a tine that matches the spot. He cuts each to fit the other. At this point he will drill out the tine and the spot where the tine goes and will epoxy them together with a rod that goes through the center of both. Grind and sand down the edges so they match and keep the dust that comes from the leveling of the two pieces. Mix the dust with some glue and cover the line that is left between the two pieces. When this dries if done right you will never be able to tell the difference. If you really want to have some fun you can take several racks and mix and match to make a glorious monstrosity. It is great for conversation.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:58 AM

My best friend is a taxidermist and Iv eseen him fis tines that are broken, first off you need to have another shed or antler you can cut up, find a tine that is similar in color and size to the one your fixing, the closer the better. Cut your broken tine off so that it is a flat base as close to the break as possible, and do the same with your repair tine and try to match them up. If possible try to bevel both edges at a slight angle so when they are connected you have a little groove around the repaired place. Then epoxy the two peices together and try to line it up so it looks as good as possibble. The taxidermists have some stuff called antler paste and then fill in the groove and smooth out the repair, and maybe take a needle and lightly put in the scratches that deer naturally have on their antlers. When it all dries he airbrushes in a little color to match the rest of the antler. Agood taxidermist can make it look so natural that you wont be ableto tell it was repaired. Id say if you want it fixed, fix it,, It is yours to do with what you want to.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks guys for all the Info ...I'll post a picture when it done its one side is totally different than its other side the side fixing is the normally side the other side is wierd... Thanks Again...
Old 12-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks angus74, I forgot the part about the groove.