Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What should I do?   Scope repair question >

What should I do? Scope repair question

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What should I do? Scope repair question

Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default What should I do? Scope repair question

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope w/ Rainguard. For me an expensive scope, about $200 a number of years ago. I put it on an inline muzzleloader, worked great. Moved it to a Rem 870 12 gauge and worked fine for a year or two. Now it seems to not hold its zero and doesn't respond the way it should to adjustment. To rule out the gun and because I wanted another gun, I bought an H&R Ultra Slug gun and put the scope on it. Same problem. We ruled out the shooter by my son shooting it and I his gun and the terrible groups went with the gun with that scope. I know some people say don't put a rifle scope on a shotgun, but does the shotgun kick any harder than one of those big African Magnums.
Heres the question, should I waste the $20 to send the scope in to get an estimate for repairs? Or am I throwing the money away because by the time I add more money to it, I could get a cheap scope that would last as long.

Dan
Old 03-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What should I do? Scope repair question

They should replace or repair it free except for your shipping cost?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

By all means send it back! There's no reason to have to live with a defective scope and it will only hurt your confidence to where you won't be able to take most shots past point blank range.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

send it back to the manufacturer in the box it came in,a friend of mine sent back a very old weaver scope that he had for nearly 30 years because the nitrogen had finally leaked out and it started to fog up,they repurged it and it worked for about one more year,he sent it back again and the seals were shot so they sent it back fixed and sent him a new 3x9x40 along with his old one to keep for sentimental value,I dont even know if weaver has a lifetime warranty but they thanked him and wished him good service out of his new one for another 30years.SEND IT BACK!!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 AM

My dad would say - How Dumb are You?

You cannot use a rifle scope on either a Muzzleloader or a Shotgun.

A rifle scope is designed for a Rifle ONLY!

There is different harmonic's between a rifle and a shotgun and that is what broke your scope. The different type of recoil between the two will break almost any type of rifle scope - even a Leupold.

Besides that - you do not need a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a Shotgun!

Even with a rifled slug, your effective range is still less than 200 yards.

If you would have PAID someone to mount your scope for you - that knew something about guns and scopes, they would have advised you not to do it and would also had advised you to buy a shotgun scope for your muzzleloader or shotgun and not a rifle scope.

Play dumb, send it back. Bushnell will replace it.

Go out and BUY a shotgun scope and put the rifle scope on a rifle and you will not have anymore problems.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Begging your pardon rifleman but I've had leupolds on my muzzleloaders and shotguns for years without the first problem,and they are NOT offically designated shotgun/muzzleloader scopes.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not want to burst any bubbles here but the only differnce between a "rifle" scope, and a "MZ" scope, and a "shotgun" scope is the difference where the parallax is set. If you do not believe that then call Leupold, and they will tell you the same thing. I have talked to Leupold about this on many occasions.

The recoil on a 12 gauge is more intense than it is on a 223 Remington, but it is no more intense than a 458 Wnchester. How rugged a scope is built is directly proportional to the cost of the scope. And how well a scope holds up is directly proportional to the punishment you apply to it. This is why you should always put a click adjustable scope on a heavy recoiling firearm, and you should not use friction adjustment scopes on a heavily recoiling firearm.Tom.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ironically however, you could put a $1000 swarovski rifle scope on an air rifle and the pellet gun would tear it up in under 50 shots. Air rifles recoil in the reverse direction of powder propellant rifles, and rifle scopes are not made to withstand that direction of recoil.

Otherwise, the difference is the parralax setting. Rimfire, rifle, and shotgun/MZ. There are some reticle and magnification settings as they are marketed for different buyers, but functionally they should still hold up to the recoil.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I do not want to burst any bubbles here but the only differnce between a "rifle" scope, and a "MZ" scope, and a "shotgun" scope is the difference where the parallax is set. If you do not believe that then call Leupold, and they will tell you the same thing. I have talked to Leupold about this on many occasions.

The recoil on a 12 gauge is more intense than it is on a 223 Remington, but it is no more intense than a 458 Wnchester. How rugged a scope is built is directly proportional to the cost of the scope. And how well a scope holds up is directly proportional to the punishment you apply to it. This is why you should always put a click adjustable scope on a heavy recoiling firearm, and you should not use friction adjustment scopes on a heavily recoiling firearm.Tom.
Explained perfectly.

and rifleman, I hope you were joking, theres no need for you to beD*ck on here. Get your facts straight before you drag someone through the mud or at least have some clue of what you're talking about before you do.
I'll bet most people who shoot a modern muzzleloader ,with a scope, have used a "rifle" scope on it (including me) and they have worked fine. I've been using mine for 8years with no problems and it hold zero dead nuts year after year.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 PM

I have a cheap bushenll on ym Mossberg 835 and i have shot alot of slugs through it. I sat on the range a few times and shot over 60 rounds through it on multiple occasions.

Quick Reply: What should I do? Scope repair question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.