Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Almost to cold

Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Almost to cold

Well I went out this morning for a hunt and lasted all but just shy of 3 hours on stand.It was a chilly -28c with wind chill.I did see 3 does though,but all in all it was a pretty quiet morning.
Anyone else hunt in these temperatures and still enjoy it.
P.S -28c is close to -20F
Old 12-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Almost to cold

I don't know how you can do it. Bow hunting would be next to impposible. I was fighting just 18 to 22 degree mornings with some windchill in the single digits. The last day I had to put on a heavy glove on my bow hand and a light one on my release hand. I hate wearing a glove on my release hand and won't unless I have to. I almost hunted thursday afternoon in fact had the deer half way untied to leave it somewhere to hunt but changed my mind because I was still cold from the morning. On the way to check in my buck, I again thought about hitting another neighborhood to drop some does but again changed my mind because I was still cold. I will try to get out a few more days this year but they'll need to be real nice days.

Ps. I guess your name is for the climate you hunt?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 AM

extreme1 I am from Saskatchewan,Canada so I know how you feel except it hasn't got near that cold this year yet. I still hunt in those temps but I carry hand and boot warmers and ususally I am done deer hunting(tagged out) before it gets that cold. good luck to you.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's why we call him Extreme 1 ,he's just an animal for these temp's ,this is where he perform's his best LOL.

nubo
Old 12-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

And I get goosebumps thinking about hunting in <30°F WOW
Old 12-18-2004, 10:48 AM

-20F??? That would just about tie the all time low here. What happens to your bow at those temps? Can it still be drawn back without breaking something?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need to get you one of th0se hot suits that keep you warm all day.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had to sit in below zero temps yet this year but a few years ago I shot a decent buck when the wind chill was -37 degrees F. It came at the end of a two hour sit just before dark.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

When it gets that dern cold i shorten my hunts to a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. Except for the rut these are the times you see deer most anyway.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got one of my best bucks when it was -2. After a couple of hours on stand I was not sure I was going to be able to draw back my bow. I have the bodyheater suit now and you do stay toasty warm once your in it.......dabow

Quick Reply: Almost to cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.