Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If compounds were outlawed... >

If compounds were outlawed...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If compounds were outlawed...

Old 12-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If compounds were outlawed...

As much as I love bowhunting with my compound I think I'd have to try using a stick bow but I'd never quit deer hunting all together. I still have my Remington 700 and my Knight Woverine. I don't hunt so much for the challenge as much as I do the pure enjoyment of being in the great outdoors and the bounty it brings to my table.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Right now I'm in the process of working my way back to shooting traditional, I like shooting my compound but sure do miss all the time I spent with a recurve, hopefully time will allow me to become accurate enough( for my standards) to hunt with traditional stuff in the next year or two. The kids are the priority. To answer your question then, no doubt I'd go traditional.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:39 PM

I'd be in the line with everyone else, buying a recurve.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 PM

I'll be the odd one out. I would most likely stop bowhunting deer if they did that. I love shooting my bow, and I own three compounds and know how to shoot them. I don't feel like learning a new discipline just to hunt with.

I also don't think I am confident enough that I want to shoot at a deer with a traditional set up with my size. I don't think I would get enough energy or be accurate enough to humanely kill one. I think it would be cruel to the animal for me to try something under powered and harder to shoot well.

More power to the guys that can do it and do it well, I just don't think I am one of them. I thought about getting a recurve just to play with, but I still don't think I would want to hunt with it.

It really wouldn't bother me that much either, since I have said before my passion is archery, not hunting. While I like hunting, I love archery.

It would probably just about kill the sport though in the US. Most of archery now is geared towards hunting, not target shooting. There would be alot of shops and companies going under if that happened. I hope it never does. And if they outlawed compounds they would most likely outlaw recurves as well since they are even harder to shoot well.

Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definately shoot traditional. I'm considering taking the leap for target shooting anyhow.

Conversely, I also enjoy gun hunting and would probably hunt handgun the way I bowhunt now.
Mostly I would miss the long season.

To me, the reward is getting close to that big buck not necessarily the means by which I'd kill it.
Perhaps one day when I'm old and grumpier I'll enjoy the challenge more from this vs that, but for now I have enough of a challenge finding the time to hunt, finding the places to hunt quality deer, and learning the art of outwitting the critters.

When those no longer become a challenge, who knows, maybe I'll stick to only hunting with a slingshot - until then I'll take what I can get and enjoy the learning experience while celebrating every minor challenge hurdled along the way.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 PM

I learned to shoot with a recurve. If I had to I would go back to it in a second; right after I figure out where I left it ( I can't remember if I gave it away, or just lost it.)

I would like to see the answers if someone were to ask "If gun hunting were outlawed, would you turn to bow hunting?" Nothing against gun hunters; I just think the answers would be really interesting. Call it market research.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Longbow and guns, it dont matter to me as long as I get to hunt!!!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM

I would still bow hunt.
I hunt with a muzzleloader during ML season and late doe only season.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Art, the wood overlays are Chakte Kok.

CHAKTE KOK Comes from Central America and the east coast of Mexico. Varies from bright red to pink or violet with dark streaks.

I asked for the brightest red that OL could get his hands on.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:11 AM

I'd hang it up.. finished...

Quick Reply: If compounds were outlawed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.