Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I couldn't do it! (weather) >

I couldn't do it! (weather)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I couldn't do it! (weather)

Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default I couldn't do it! (weather)

Wind chill this morning was 5 degrees... I thought that was the type of weather that your not supposed to have skin exposed to. Was I woosing out? Or is that a valid concern at that temperature??
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I couldn't do it! (weather)

If you dress with enough layers on you can hunt that weather but your bow poundage will feel about 30 lbs heavier and holding the bow will freeze your bow hand.Like they say---YOU REALLY GOTTA WANT IT!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

well it wasn't those parts of the body that I was worried about... it's the exposed parts. Which for me is mainly the eyes area. I was equating it to the times when the weather man on TV tells everyone not to expose their bare skin to these weather conditions for very long... bare skin=eyes area for me.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is suppose to be 17 degrees here in the morning with the wind blowing 10-15 mph out of the N. I am going in the morning and hunting all day long. It's going to be a long day for sure but I know there is some tremendous big deer potential in the areas that I am hunting so I am going to dress warm and endure it.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

I went out yesterday in 15 degree weather... but that's WAY different than 5.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that if your dressed for it ,but I'm sure you''ll likely wish you would have stayed home .I've had my hand's frost bitten from ice fishing and they don't take the cold like they used to .I'll go for about 2 hour's and that's about all I can take these day's .Once your hand's and feet get cold it sure take's the fun out of your hunting .

nubo
Old 12-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went out yesterday in 15 degree weather... but that's WAY different than 5.
You said the wind chill was 5 degrees. 17 degrees with an 8 mph wind gets you a wind chill of 5 degrees.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

well that's possible. But force of the wind does not necessarily determine the temperature of it tho... But it could be. And actually yesterday when I was out the wind was much harder than 8 MPH... it was a lot closer to 15-20mph. The day here yestereday was NUTZ!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 AM

Anything under 20 is too cold for me. I know, I know I'm a wuss, but temps that low are rare down here and I've never seen the increase in deer activity to validate the torture. When it gets real cold down here, the deer seem to lock up.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your 5 degrees is like our -15 celcius or close to it.Hunting in this weather is the norm for us this time of year.[X(]
If you dress properly for the weather then you can hunt in these temperatures for a while.Try getting some of those "HOT PAWS" for your gloves and boots,they do work I have used them alot of times.Keep your face out of the wind,put your back to it.Do you wear a face mask?If not wear a touque and scarf,alot of body heat is lost in these areas.
I have bad circulation in my hands so i will bring a hand muff with some hot paws in it,will keep my hands toasty for quite some time.The bow is not in my hand all the time but that is a chance i have to take.
The cold wont bother your eyes at that temp,just keep your face out of the wind and they wont water as much.
I was out ice fishing with a friend last year on mississippi lake,it was -37c with the wind chill.Now that was COLD,wish I had of stayed in bed that day,or used a ice shack.

Quick Reply: I couldn't do it! (weather)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.