Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hissing deer - male or female? >

hissing deer - male or female?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hissing deer - male or female?

Old 12-10-2004, 04:19 PM

Default hissing deer - male or female?

The last few time I have headed to one of my blinds before sunup I have been greeted by a hissing deer, who will move away from me but not leave the area. This damn deer will then hang around and hiss off and on for up to a half hour, even though I am concealed and scent free. I haven't been able to see this deer well enough to determine if it is male or female, but I think it is alone and therefore most likely a buck. Is this type of hissing/behavior more typical of a buck or doe?? It is important because I have filled my doe tag and if this is a buck, I may try an alternate (much longer) route to my blind and try to nail this sucker.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:42 PM

Default RE: hissing deer - male or female?

You better take the long route
Old 12-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had both snort at me! Once I missed a doe and she ran 10 yards and stood around snortin at me and I would snort back, went on for like 10 times pretty funny! It's also like a warning to others as well!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe it is a blow up decoy springing a leak
Old 12-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had experiences with deer snorting like that when they are unsure if you are a threat or another deer. Often a truly frightened deer will snort only once or twice and vacate the area quickly and quietly.

Wait till the light comes up and try a soft doe bleat. Have your gun or bow ready though because you may be surprised as I have been (several times) at how fast they might come to your stand.

In my opinion, it could be either sex snorting at you from a distance.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have had both bucks and does at hiss at me before. But that was just because I pushed on the chest cavity after I found them and the air hissed out of the broadhead hole Maybe a deer mated with a snake in your area and you have been close to the offspring!