Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Male or Female

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Male or Female

Ok, so here it is. I have gotten your thoughts on what breed of dog to get between the GSP and English Setter. I have hunted birds now for just over 12 years, and I have owned one dog, a beautiful female English Setter. I chose a female back then since I was working at the kennel, and had some plans for breeding. I never, back then thought to ask, which sex, male or female generally hunt better. I am leaning more toward the GSP right now since I live in GA, and would like to do some duck hunting, and I have seen that a GSP does fairly well as a retreiver. Though, I have not ruled out a setter either, and just hunt ducks over a friends dog.

SO, between the GSP and English Setter, what do you think, male or female? and why.

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Male or Female

I have had the pleasure of shooting over some fine dogs in recent years. I can tell you that stats show that more FC's (which is where a lot of the breeding stock comes from or are related to) tend to be males. All breeds across the board.
Personally, I prefer females because they tend to train up easier and tend to be a bit more willing to please until they near their cycles. If you have her spayed before then you may not get the middle finger from your spiteful huzzy when she gets PMS.
Having said that, I have a 15 month old male who is training up nicely and shows much promise. He may make me eat my words one day and if he turns out like he should then I will savor every bite. On the other side of the coin, you have to consider your male when he wants to be Romeo vs. hunt when your buddy's female is in season during bird season.
We have had 6 females to 3 males. Our next will likely be another female.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Typical Buck

Go with the GSP as you'll want to do everything with your dog and take them outdoors.

As for male or female, it doesn't matter that much if your going to spay/neuter them. Breeding is a different story. The male will mark stuff but I find my female will find the mark and mark it herself but the mark has to be there in the first place. As to which takes to training better, matures faster, is an alpha, etc. it's all the individual personality. Even if there is a statistical difference, the amount of extra work/time is probably nothing compared to overall training/time.

So if you get to pick one in the litter, pick one that suits you, ie. bold/submissive, active/couch potato, etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: springerDIVA

I can tell you that stats show that more FC's (which is where a lot of the breeding stock comes from or are related to) tend to be males. All breeds across the board.
Don't you think that's in part because females are frequently "out of commission" due to heat cycles and pregnancy/lactation and thus can't train or run trials as much as males?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Doc E
I think you hit it on the head about FC statistics. It'sa totally skewed stat in any breed, in any competition. I know lots of pros that will not even put a female on their field trial string because they don't want to mess with heat cycles.
KD
As far as male and female, I have never noticed one being a better hunter. If you get a well bred dog the end result should be the same. The only thing I have noticed is females mature a little quicker so you can get to the "end result" you desire a little faster. The difference might only be a couple months.
If your in GA and looking for a GSP, there is one of the best breeders in the nation in that state (at least in my opinion). If you haven't already found your pup, i'd be happy to turn you onto them.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 PM

This is commical...
I thought everyone knew that males are smarter than females...

I have had good experiences with both male and female, My selections were based more on the dog itself and less on wheter it was male or female. Just gotta pick which ever one suits you best. Drive, intelligence, manners, bird sense, etc... Male or female, the dog with those sort of qualities will be the best dog.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM

I have had Brittany's, Irish Setter, English Setter, and now a GSP. Females are my pick!It seems to me that they listen a lot better and pay more attention. Also, if you ever decide to breed you just have to find a stud which isnt that hard.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:03 PM

I was told once upon a time from a K9 trainer for the military that Uncle Sam did extensive studies on this subject also intact vs spayed/neutered. It didn't matter either way, it was all dependant on the individual dog. That is why you can breed two FC's together one time and get a whole litter of FC's and the next time you breed the dogs you get a litter of junk or 50/50 dogs.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a male and female Irish Setter and the male was by far easier to train.. My female had come around but age wise the male was the quickest. I also have a few friends that are currently using the English Setters and it is the same thing with them, that the males were quicker learners.. That's my 2 cents on this... Good Luck to you..
Old 08-04-2007, 04:58 AM

I have already found a breeder in Alabama that I am about 99.9% that I will get my pup from. I will have a chance to see the parents when I am home in October on leave. Dave breeds English Setters and GSPs so I will get a chance to shoot some birds over both breeds side by side to get a better feel for them. I'm still not sure on which breed to get. I have a good kowledge of the setters, and experence shooting over the GSP's but none with either in the house with my family.
I have no preferance of male or female. I have heard some folks say that males or females are generally more birdy, or easier to train...whatever. Now I am just trying to get as much first hand experience to see before i decide.
Thanks now again for the info, it has helped me some, and will ultimatly help as i ear form more people.

Quick Reply: Male or Female

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.