Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Draw weight - rookie needs advice >

Draw weight - rookie needs advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw weight - rookie needs advice

Old 12-09-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Draw weight - rookie needs advice

Ok - since I have virtually no knowledge about draw weights, I need your help. How do you determine the proper draw weight for a hunter? I realize that most bows have an adjustment range of about 10 lbs and are typically in the 50-60 and 60-70 range. Most of the guys in the proshop just say that they "look" at someone or watch them pull a bow to determine what the draw weight should be. Seems that there would be a more scientific method or measurement system.... Any advice to a rookie before I spend money on the "wrong" bow set up?

Thanks,
David
Old 12-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Draw weight - rookie needs advice

You need to set your bow where you feel most comfortable ,and the more you shoot the stronger you'll get ,as you get more and more comfortable with your bow you'll need to adjust it higher ,till your totally comfortable at the maximum setting.

nubo
Old 12-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with nubo, the only other suggestion I might make is to see if your archery shop will let you shoot twenty or so arrows with the weight that you think that you might want to hunt with, you'll find out pretty quickly if you are in over your head. If you can do 10 or so shots and the last ten are shakey that should work because with practice you will become stronger and more comfortable.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 PM

Go with what feels best. How I've always been to find that out and it works pretty well is the hold the bow at a typical shooting position with your bow arm fully extended. Knock an arrow and your release and draw back. If at any point of the draw either of your arms shake from the strain of drawing, the draw weight is too much. You should be able to draw it back smoothly and hold it there for at least 20 seconds without your bow arm feeling the need to lock it's elbow. That's another sign the draw weight is too much.
In a hunting situation you absolutely don't want a bow you're going to have to strugle with. When your joints are cold and stiff your strength will be a lot less so that 60 pound draw could feel like 70 or 75. Better that you have an easy to handle 50 or 55 pound draw that is easy to shoot accuratly than a heavy 70 pound draw that causes you to shake and miss the target.

Another side note, I always use an arrow weight of between 8 to 12 grains per pound or draw weight. If you go lighter you will get speed and flat shooting but at the expense of penetration and increased noise. If you go heavier you will get a quiet bow that penetrates real well but you will have to be absolutely sure of your range because you will be shooting arrows with a mortar trajectory.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:27 PM

the more you shoot the stronger you will get, the best thing to do is pull what feels comfortable in any situation. siting down standing up on your knees etc. I hunt mostly on the ground so I know I have to be able to pull my bow back a little at a time if I have deer watching me and I want to be able to hold it for as long as possible and still have the sights steady. I can pull 70lbs easily but my bow set at 65lbs more than enough to take down elk, moose, bear, deer, every animal that I have access to hunt n my area.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sit flat on the floor with your legs crossed "indian style" and hold the bow straight out in front of you and draw it with out raising it to get leaverage. If you can do this with out straining then you are within a good draw weight for hunting.

You gan go up in poundage until you start to strain and then back it off one turn.

This is the hardest position to draw a bow from.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

the more you shoot the stronger you will get, the best thing to do is pull what feels comfortable in any situation. siting down standing up on your knees etc
Sit flat on the floor with your legs crossed "indian style" and hold the bow straight out in front of you and draw it with out raising it to get leaverage.
Two good peices of advise , if you can draw and shoot comfortably sitting down , you probably are not overbowed . It allso helps in a treestand situation , when a deer sneeks in on you . Some archers are abill to shoot well without standing , from the seated position , reducing the risk of a deer seeing you stand up and spooking it .
Old 12-10-2004, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: nubo
You need to set your bow where you feel most comfortable ,and the more you shoot the stronger you'll get ,as you get more and more comfortable with your bow you'll need to adjust it higher ,till your totally comfortable at the maximum setting.
I agree with this, dont be afraid to get a bow with a lower maximum poundage, If you are only going to shoot w/ a 60 pound draw, get the bow with a 60 pound max rather than the one w/ 75. A bow will shoot more consistently when it is set closer to the maximum draw weight. So when people are calling you weak cause of your draw weight, teach them a lesson when you shoot tighter groups. A well placed shot will kill a deer better than a poorly placed one regardless of the arrows energy.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Thank you all for the advice. Being handicapped and qualified (in Texas) to hunt with a crossbow because of my handicap, I am challenged with having the same strength and consistency in my endurance. I really appreciate the time each of you has taken to respond and the knowledge you have shared. I'll put it to good use!

Best regards,
David
Old 12-13-2004, 05:39 AM

Bigbulls; Never thought about sitting that way---very good advise!!! I always go by never having to raise your bow over your head to " tough it out" to get your bow drawn. You want to be able to come to full draw and hold it for an extended amount of time without having to fight it to get it drawn. Have a great season!!!

Quick Reply: Draw weight - rookie needs advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.