Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I found a nice shed today. >

I found a nice shed today.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I found a nice shed today.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:59 PM

Default I found a nice shed today.

At my workplace, there are alot of deer that are fenced in a fairly large area. Today while leaving work I saw a nice shed in the field, so I went back in to get it. It is a basic 5 with a kicker off the base. The spread wouldn't have been much but the mass and tine length was real nice. I'm not sure why, but the deer at work lose their racks early. Most drop before the middle of Jan.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I found a nice shed today.

Are you sure it was this seasons drop?

Congrats on the early find. I still have 2 1/2 months before I start looking.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It does seem a little early for them to drop But who knows? Any ways Congrats on the find.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 PM

It is fresh. They don't last long with all the workers. This one was easy to see from the road. I don't know how it lasted till 3:15 pm. It had to fall off during the night, beause the deer head back for the woods in the mornings.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the earliest I have found sheds in East Central Illinois was around January 21st or 22nd... they were from a large Buck on our no hunting property whom I have 3 years worth of his sheds ... he is a BIG gorgeous 10 pointer now ...... they are free rangeing deer but tend to seek refuge on our no hunting property.
I had a fellow I know hunting a buck I had spotted last year .. he shot him on the 2nd to last day of Archery season last year... he shot him by the river and rather than drag him the long trip back and uphill to the truck they canoed him down river to the canoe lauch where they could just back the truck up to him....... when they went to lift the buck out of the canoe, he grabbed the buck by the antlers to lift the bucks head up and out of the canoe ..WHEN... both antlers came right off the buck[:@] He was a really nice book buck also.
I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE .... THATALL PISS YOU OFF[:@]
Old 12-08-2004, 12:15 AM

I found a nice set of 4 point antlers with a little bit of blood on the base in mid december last year. Pretty cool, both of them were sticking in the snow.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is from stress.You would be stressed to if you were locked up in prison
Old 12-08-2004, 10:12 AM

I also would think it's early. Congrats on a nice find though. I don't expect to see anything for at least another month or so.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:36 AM

I think it's very odd that a buck would be dropping its antlers this early. I have home video of a whole bachelor group of bucks actually sparring on April 7th. I'm in SE Wisconsin. I thought that was odd, too.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:55 PM

I know it seems early, but the bucks inside the plant property do drop alot earlier than the ones outside. It might have something to do with their diet (mostly grass),or the fact that there are so many bucks that all the does get bred early.
I did find one at Pere Marquette State Park in the second week of Jan. I to have been out shed hunting in April, only to spook up bucks still carrying their racks.

Quick Reply: I found a nice shed today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.