Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spooked deer tonight >

Spooked deer tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooked deer tonight

Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spooked deer tonight

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Despite what flipper says she saw you move.

How can you know that? I'v had them under me for an hour or more, turnng, sitting, standing & never knew I was there till I made a noise.
In my experience if you dont tip them off by scent or noise they dont even look around much let alone up. If they hear or smell something all bets are off, they will look everywhere & chances are sooner or later they'll find you.

I'v watched them coming in & had them scent me & start searching, looking every which a way. Sometimes they find me sometimes they dont, but they almost always leave. I think their eyes are a second defence that comes into play mostly when they hear or smell something. I'm not saying they dont look around at all, what I mean is I think hearing & smell are their primary defences.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Leverdude

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Despite what flipper says she saw you move.

How can you know that? I'v had them under me for an hour or more, turnng, sitting, standing & never knew I was there till I made a noise.
In my experience if you dont tip them off by scent or noise they dont even look around much let alone up. If they hear or smell something all bets are off, they will look everywhere & chances are sooner or later they'll find you.

I'v watched them coming in & had them scent me & start searching, looking every which a way. Sometimes they find me sometimes they dont, but they almost always leave. I think their eyes are a second defence that comes into play mostly when they hear or smell something. I'm not saying they dont look around at all, what I mean is I think hearing & smell are their primary defences.
They know that lump isn't suppose to be hanging off the tree. It wasn't there yesterday. You get lucky if they come into the area not concern with something off on the horizon. When they start looking off on the horizon they forget to look up. If they wander in they look up. Hence that is why I need to be up 30+. If your not up that high you will be busted.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:26 AM

Spooked one myself last night. Woods are wet, so it is really hard to hear deer walking until they are right on you. I heard a deer walking behind my stand on the edge of our food plot field. I slowly reached for my bow and turned slightly and slowly to see it was a shooter buck! He caught my movement and froze and turned and ran 30 yards back into the woods. I was so mad at myself. I know better. I should have let him pass my tree first then reach for the bow and be able to watch his head and movements so I could pick the right time to get into position.

Going to take my climber into the woods tonight to cut off his path to the field and hopefully suprise him again, this time with a 100 grain G5 broadhead!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Despite what flipper says she saw you move
How do you know that?