Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you carry in that Backpack?? >

What do you carry in that Backpack??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you carry in that Backpack??

Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you carry in that Backpack??

I see so many of these hunters on T.V. carrying a backpack while hunting whitetails and I can't figure out what all they need to make it through the day that they would have to have a backpack to carry it in. I always have a extra release,flashlight,grunt call,can call, gutting knife,gloves and facemask,limb saw, rangefinder and all of that fits into a 7 pocket fannypack. So I'm wondering if you guys wear a fannypack or backpack? And if you wear a backpack what all is in it?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:48 AM

Default RE: What do you carry in that Backpack??

I'm a fanny pack man.

I carry my knife, powder wind checker, fine thread wind checker, surveyors tape (aprox 5'), compass, thermacell and refills, backup release(don't forget to practice with it guys), a variety of scents, chap stick, extra pull rope, tree stand stabilizing strap, head lamp,very small note pad and pencil, food and waterbottle(for all day hunts only).

That about sums it up.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:51 AM

Fanny-pack kinda guy right here. I carry rattle bag, the can, knife, grunt call, face paint(early in season), release, scent killer spray, watch, and sometimes a pair of gloves! I kinda had to resow the straps on mine this year though, it got kinda heavy...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I use backpack just for the simple reason that I put my heavy coat gloves ect.. in it as I walk to stand so I don't get all sweat ed up. I have a backpack that has a detachable fanny-pack. In the fanny pack I carry flashlights hand warmers all my field dressing tools. I usually try to keep my calls in my pockets.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 AM

well, i carry all the usual stuff, but the bulk of the room in my pack goes to extra clothing. hunting in swamps, i will carry a complete extra set of camo clothing in case for whatever reason i get wet, i can change into a dry set. i have had to do this on more than one occasion. there is lots of stuff hiding under the water that can trip you, cypress knees, branches, logs, etc...when the weather gets cold my pack is filled with my cold weather clothing. i usually put my bibs and heavy jacket on when i get to my stand.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

TV hunters have to have backpacks to haul all the crap... er.... products (yeah, that's it!) that their sponsors want used on the show. Including the pack manufacturer!

If I can't get it into my pockets and maybe a small fanny pack, I don't need it when I'm hunting.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hate my back pack. But if I will be in the woods all day without coming out, I'll carry it.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a backpack guy

I strap it to my treestand, carry it in/out. I put my coat inside on the way in (if there's room). Other items I always carry: an MRE for the day (get em from military surplus store), camera, scents, wicks, bino's, grunt tube, bleat can, drink, pee jug, rain poncho, drag rope, safety belts, an engaging book to read, glow tacks, GPS (depending on location), Radio (if I'm not hunting alone), granola bars, hand warmers, chap stick, bow holder, bow rope, flashlight, lighter, scent killer, spare clothes as weather may require.

I usually hunt in national forest with 1-2 mile hike in - I hunt from dark to dark.

If I'm close to a road (less than 1/2 mile), I leave the bag at home, use a fanny pack.

My stand weighs 13 lbs., with my pack it goes to 21 lbs. That's still less than some larger, more cumbersome climbers. If you can drag out a 160 pound carcass, carrying in a neatly-packed 21 pound pack is a breeze.

I hate having a hunting day cut short by cold/rain/hunger, or spending an unplanned night in the woods unprepared. This prevents such an episode.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Knife, extra release, grunt tube, Can call, licenses/permits, handwarmers, hand clippers, digital camera, binoculars, rangefinder, facemask, extra hat, extra shirt, extra gloves, something to snack on, bottle of water, some rope, compass, and of course my handheld Tetris game.

I'm sure's more stuff in there that I'm not thinking of, but it's probably not that important.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:22 AM

I'm usually a fanny pack guy... but I just purchased a front bag for my summit and I would recommend it to anyone using a summit. It's about the size of a backpack also! Usually carry water, grunt, rattlebag, extra gloves, extra release, etc.

Quick Reply: What do you carry in that Backpack??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.