Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoot him or not? >

Shoot him or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot him or not?

Old 12-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shoot him or not?

Well I've been sand baggin here for a while now figure it is time to finally post. Hello to all and thanx for having me.
Anyway, opening day of rifle in Pa. 8:30 am I see a deer running full tilt 2 fields over (app. 300 yrds.) in the field my brother in law was hunting. I hear 1 shot. I got on the radio, asked him howd ya do? He said well I don't know, you need to come down here and see what ya think. So, I go down to him and it"s a spike.( QDM in Pa.)Well when the deer ran by him his front left leg was shot up pretty bad, I won't get to graffic but you know what I mean. So he put him out of his misery. My B-I-L says so what should I do I said dress him and tag him, We'll see what the warden says. So, we waited 1 hour to see if anybody came along tracking the deer and no one came. We heard the origonal shot at him 300 or so yards deep in the woods. We went to th wardens office filed out the report paid the 25.00 and were on our way. Slit second decision shot or not I think he did the right thing.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shoot him or not?

I do agree... I don't think anyone should shoot a spike, but if it is all shot up and gonna die anyway, do it... You did the right thing...

This is off the subject, but I wish it were the law to not be able to shoot anything under 3 points on one side... Could you imagine the nice bucks you would see and get if that were the deal??? It might be that way in some states I don't know, but it isn't in Mi... If you want a buck, shoot a big one (if you can)... Who wants a wall full of spikes and 4 point??? If you want meat, shoot a doe... There are too many anyway...
Old 12-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probaly would have done the same thing.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would of done it ,would of been lawful for me to shoot.Cardeers in Pa has no antler restrictions,I'm special
Old 12-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would have made no sense to let him run away missing a leg ,I think you's done the right thing .Put him out of his misery.

nubo
Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have shot him also.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:53 AM

Either tag him or hang a bloody steak around his neck for the 'yotes when he runs away, that's what I think.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 AM

SO the warden was ok with it? That's a first. I'm amazed.

In that situation although I think he made the ethical decision it may have been in the "LAWS" eyes illegal. I like to think that's what I'd have done but at the same time I don't want to dig my own grave.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 AM

Taylor's believe it or not!

Hey, this year a friend of mine's dad shot a nice buck during gun week, but it was all rotted out and stuff and was dying anyways...
He took it to the check-in station and the game dept. officer said take his tag off and go hunt for another one! He was allowed to keep the big buck and go hunting for another!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!