Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define Hunting!!! >

Define Hunting!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define Hunting!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Define Hunting!!!

Okay guys, with all this talk of bow vs. gun hunting, I thought that this would be a good post.

Define hunting. I hear alot of guys trash talk deer drives, and I tend to think that these guys havn't seen deer drives done in the proper manner! We use deer drives during rifle season while hunting with our bows! The reason is that in rifle season, the deer around here are nocturnal, they just don't move during the day! We will set one person up in a escape route while the other will VERY VERY slowly sneak through the brush up-wind of the poster! We try to let scent push the deer past the poster!

Do you have to sit in a treestand on a trail and shoot a deer for it to have been called "hunting".

To me, hunting is chasing down your prey and killing it! This can be done with drives (a technique that lions in africa use to kill their prey) or by sitting on a trail and waiting for deer. It could be setting up at a water-hole on a very very hot day. It doesn't matter as long as you are doing the work and trying to kill your prey!

For those that say rifle hunting is point and shoot, this isn't true. On the first day of rifle season this year, I was doing a deer drive during mid-day towards my grandfather. I was carrying my custom .280 and I had factory Remington Core-Lokts shells in it. Well, I snuck up withing 12 feet of a bedded down buck! I wasn't paying attention and it actually scared me when I saw him. He was bedded facing straight away from me. I sat there looking at him at just 12 feet for a couple minutes. I was trying to see if he was hurt. He was a wide 3-1/2 year old 8point that we have been watching. I pulled up my rifle and as soon as I did, he stood up and looked at me, I flipped the safety off and squeezed the trigger.......... NOTHING! My gun mis-fired! I took this as a sign to use my bow the rest of rifle season, but it proves the point that nothing in rifle hunting is a guarentee!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Define Hunting!!!

I don't think it matters what you kill a deer with. A good trophy is a good trophy. if ur even tryi ng to kill an animal I consider that hunting(unless poaching dang idiots) just my .02

Trap
Old 12-02-2004, 07:38 PM

good question, i am actually in a hunting ethics course this semester.
hunting is the pursuit of game with the intent to kill and consume the animal, and or use its goods (hide, claws, bones..).
Old 12-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stir that bucket.[8D]
Old 12-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife and I had this discussion 2 weeks ago.

I took her to southern Illinois for her first deer hunt. It was opening day Illinois Firearm season (shotgun.)
We pulled in to the family farm (that has never been hunted) a little too late as it was already getting light.
As we came in we saw a great looking 8 point following 6 does.
I put the truck in park, got out, went to the back, and came back up front with a set of binoculars.
My wife kind of freaked out and said "Why didn't you bring the gun up instead?"
I explained to her that we were there for the experience of hunting, not just to kill the first deer we saw.
We ended up not seeing another deer for the rest of the day but will always have the memory of her first hunt!

I've seen guys from Chicago (insert any big city here) come down and put 9 rounds in a deer. Congratulations to them for filling a tag, but myself, that seems like they are there to kill something and shoot their guns, not hunt.

My view may not be the book definition of "hunting" and my opinion is not any better than anyone elses.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 AM

hunting [həntɪɳ]
A noun
1 hunt, hunting

the pursuit and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport
Category Tree:
act; human_action; human_activity
╚activity
╚diversion; recreation
╚sport; athletics
╚outdoor_sport; field_sport