Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you define a "top end"..... >

How do you define a "top end".....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you define a "top end".....

Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How do you define a "top end".....

How do you define a "top end" buck foran area?

I AM NOT TALKING HOW MANY INCHES....

What criteria must be made for you to consider a buck a top end whitetail foran area?

I would consider a top end whitetail to bea buck that would fall into the top 5-10% or soof mature bucks killed in "your" area each year...

How would you define it?

EDIT
In other words... If you were todefine "top end whitetail"for a dictionary, what would be the definitionyou would make up for a standard to be used across the whitetails range.

[/align]
Old 07-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Default RE: How do you define a "top end".....

The top 15% or so of bucks for an area in terms of: Age(Maturity), Rack Size, and Weight.

That's my definition of "Top End"
Old 07-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

How do you define a "top end" buck for your area?

I would consider a top end whitetail to be a buck that would fall into the top 5-10% or so of mature bucks killed in your area each year...

How would you define it?
How can you quantify something or anything really relating to bucks, using anything other than inches? Even just saying the top 5-10% of mature bucks.... what makes them the top 5-10%.... are they taller at the shoulder, heavier, older, smell better????

We have a 10 pager on this vary topic already...
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Edited.. because I suck at reading the Q for what it was.. not for what I thought it was.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

How can you quantify something or anything really relating to bucks, using anything other than inches? Even just saying the top 5-10% of mature bucks.... what makes them the top 5-10%.... are they taller at the shoulder, heavier, older, smell better????

We have a 10 pager on this vary topic already...

The question is based on inches but I am not asking how many inches is a top end buck in your area... I could care less if it is 80 inches or 200 inches....

I just want to know what criteriaa buckhas to make to be considered top end in your opinion.

Is it the top 10% of the bucks inan area.... Do you consider only state record bucks or bucks that flirt with the state record top end etc etc....

We are having trouble in that other thread with the definition of a "top end" buck... So I want to know what everyone's definition of a top end whitetail is....

In other words, I am asking you tomake a standard definition that would work no matter where you were hunting be it FL or IA.......

[/align]
Old 07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

This question isn't that difficult, that's why he made it a percentage, not an inch class. Anyone should be able to answer for any geographic region. Regardless of where you are.

Some people may consider only the top 2%best scoring bucks of an area top end, others may call the top end the best 25%.

Personally 'top end'to me is the top scoring 2-3%. I'd say my targeted bucks fall within the top 7-10% of the area's buck population.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

This question isn't that difficult, that's why he made it a percentage, not an inch class. Anyone should be able to answer for any geographic region. Regardless of where you are.

Some people may consider only the top 2%best scoring bucks of an area top end, others may call the top end the best 25%.

Personally 'top end'to me is the top scoring 2-3%. I'd say my targeted bucks fall within the top 7-10% of the area's buck population.
x2

Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

EDIT
In other words... If you were to define "top end whitetail" for a dictionary, what would be the definition you would make up for a standard to be used across the whitetails range.

Good edit... in order to define this.... let me refer to "THE BOOK":

quoth the book:

The typical pattern of mature whiteail antler development is an unbranched man beam that mornally develops from three to seven (or more) unbranched points at spaced intervals.

Whitetails can show an almost infinite variety in number and location of points. The non-typical category was establish to properly recognise such trophies....

That quote is from the second edition of "Measuring and Scoring Big Game Trophies", the bible of the Boone and Crockett club. However, thats as far as I can go without getting into measureable inches.... in which case, keeping with the book would be 160 awards 170 all-time for a typical entry, and 185 awards, 195 all time for a non-typical entry.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

for you to consider a buck a top end whitetail
I can answer that one.. sorry... I feel slow today.[&:]

Top end buck I consider (not neccasarily in my area) top 10%.

My minds already on vacation today.. sorry for the first and rather stupid reply.

Carry on.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

The one with my arrow hole in him.

Quick Reply: How do you define a "top end".....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.