Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SICK of the ELITISM >

SICK of the ELITISM

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SICK of the ELITISM

Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default SICK of the ELITISM

I just couldn't stand it anymore. The more and more I read, the more disinfranchised I get. There are several current posts stating that gun hunters aren't worthy to be in the woods, hunting with a gun is easy, killing a deer with a gun is a disgrace, etc, etc (paraphrasing). Why do so many have to bash other forms of hunting (be it shotgun, rifle, crossbow, inline, etc.)? Why do some feel they are the ultimate hunter because they use a bow? What make you better than a guy who (heaven forbid) would like to take a gun out to harvest a deer (whether after spending a month hunting with a bow or no time with a bow)?

Yes, everyone has the right to their opinion, but I can't believe the amount of negativity for gun hunters. We bowhunters are not the only ones that love to be in the woods an hunt deer. Why must we bash those that are not as "lucky" to get out in the bow-woods and simply agree that hunting is hunting. Yes there are differences, as well as, similarities in technique, approaches, skill, etc. I just think there should be a little bit more of a united front and keep that 'I am better than you' attitude in you pocket.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:54 AM

Default RE: SICK of the ELITISM 100% Agreed

I totally agree. I bowhunt 80% of the time. I just enjoy the fact I can practice at my house year round and seems in my opinion to have a little more thrill than gun hunting. However I have sat days on end in 20 Deg. weather with my gun and shot nothing. So I respect legal/fair chase hunting however you choose. We are all part of a hunting communtiy, we need not bring negative attention to ourselves.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: SICK of the ELITISM

Because gun hunters are beneath pond scum on the chart

Relax just kidding. I must be reading a different post then you. I only see people posting a personal preference to bow hunting rather then gun hunting. I think it comes down to a satisfaction issue and intimatcy with the quarry. I haven't read anyone wanting to ban gun hunters. I did use to love to show up with my bow during gun hunts and being one of the only ones to come away with a kill those times. I just don't have the time anymore. Can't wait until I retire.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just couldn't stand it anymore. The more and more I read, the more disinfranchised I get. There are several current posts stating that gun hunters aren't worthy to be in the woods, killing a deer with a gun is a disgrace,
Dougboy,

I assume that the thread I started is one of the ones that you are referring to. But I have read all 10 pages and I didn't see where anyone said that gun hunters weren't worthy to be in the woods or that killing a deer with a gun was a disgrace but it's possible that I over looked it. Could you quote some of the places that this was said? It seems like you are taking things a little to personal and out of context. It's time you get use to the fact that we don't all have the same opinions. Some of us think crossbows should not be legal. Others think that baiting should not be legal. Some people think dog hunting should not be legal. If you want to go on a crusade why not point it towards those with attitudes that could potentially harm the sport. I may think that gun hunting is easier than bowhunting but at the end of the day I am going to fight for your right to gun hunt. The people that believe these things I listed would not only potentially try to decide for others how they should hunt but also support litigation and or laws that could be potentially harmful to hunters in general. So if you are going choose something to fight for, why not choose a worthy cause rather than a couple of people that have respectfully offered an opinion that is different from yours.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

I just couldn't stand it anymore. The more and more I read, the more disinfranchised I get. There are several current posts stating that gun hunters aren't worthy to be in the woods, hunting with a gun is easy, killing a deer with a gun is a disgrace, etc, etc (paraphrasing).

I hear ya man........there sure is a lot of ego strokin' going on in here lately.

And I doubt it stops there

This place is full of "bow is better then gun" "trophy hunters are better then meat hunters" "who is the best hunter?" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Seasons are ending and people are already getting bored I think.