Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This should heat it up....... >

This should heat it up.......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This should heat it up.......

Old 11-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This should heat it up.......

We should be careful on what standards we use when criticising others on how they harvest deer.
I believe a criticism would have to be stated out loud. I shared with you all what my opinion is. I don't go around telling people that I don't think their deer is a trophy etc. etc. I merely think it to myself. It's a value you system that I have and some others share, as evidenced by many posts here in the past. I personally place more value on an animal killed with a bow than I do on an animal killed with a gun. To place value on things doesn't necessarily mean criticism.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:11 PM

Well, since you've quoted me as feeling dirty it's probably no supprise that I will answer C. I'll lay it down for you as well. I feel down right dirty for shooting that buck with a gun. This is truly the first time I've ever felt this way. In the past few years I've been hunting more with my bow and less and less with a gun and I now know why.

The amount of time and dedication I put forth into bowhunting and the amount of skill or "trickery" if your may, it takes to kill a good mature buck in bow hunting is on a much higher plain. I don't begrudge the guy who shoots a deer with a gun but I 100% without a doubt respect the accomplishemt more when done with a bow. I also hold more respect for an animal taken with traditional equiptment then I do with a compound. Some day I hope to get to the point I can be proficient with a stick bow but until that time I will push the limits of my ability.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think gun hunting is too easy and doesn't deserve the respect that bowhunting does
So I guess you get a deer every time you go out with a gun, or you only go out with a gun when you can't get one with a bow.

I hunt both and enjoy both equally. It's not what you used to harvest the animal but the preperations taken leading up to the final moment.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will say-a- leaning to a heavy -C- Bowhunters are buy far better hunters! If you think taking a gun a week before the season starts sight it in. And walk out in to the woods and say see a deer 100yrds away and kill it with now problem. How can you say that the hunter deserves as much respect as a bowhunter that starts practicing months before the season starts. And practices 3-4 or maby even more days a week. And sence this is more a physical sport that takes more time. Then when a deer comes but say 50yrds and the bowhunter has to wait for the animal to get with in what is a more ethical killing range for the hunter to draw his bow with out being seen? Have the deer close enuff to shoot with out being winded? Hoping the deer will not jump the strings? And many more things to long to mention A gunhunter does not have worry about any of that! Have you ever tryed to draw a bow in 20 degree weather or colder? Its not that easy! But what is easy is to pull a trigger in what ever temp you want at what ever range you want! Any thing in this world that is harder to do will always get more respect than something thats easy to do! Its just that simple. if you ask about any used to be gunhunter that lays down his gun and starts bowhunting for good most of the time he will say becouse of the challenge? its just not there with gunhunting. I do how ever give respect to any hunter becouse he is a hunter. But when it come to bowhunting that a whole another story.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:43 PM

I respect the trophy of any true sportsman regardless of how it was killed. If a person lost a hand in an accident and is still able to take a deer using a rifle, that is a trophy worthy of respect. If someone kills a new world record buck by flinging and arrow 70 yards at a walking deer they get no respect from me. I have several nice bucks on my wall that I took with a rifle. I certainly do not think less of them. At that time I didn't own a bow and only hunted with a rifle. One of my best was taken at 30 yards. My rifle was no advantage. It just happened to be what I was carrying. Have you considered that perhaps many traditional archers may look down on your trophies since you are hunting with a compound bow?

I don't go around telling people that I don't think their deer is a trophy etc. etc. I merely think it to myself.
How considerate of you!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think your statements criticized anyone. In my opinion you stated the obvious. I bought a muzzleloader this year to gun hunt in IL. This would be my first year gun hunting deer. The accuracy is amazing out to 100 yards so your effective range is more than tripled over a compound bow. At that distance you could move over to the nearest tree for a solid rest and increase your range even more. So there's no doubt about it, a bow kill is much more of an accomplishment than a gun kill. You don't have to worry about the deer jumping the string either. By the way, I didn't go out during firearm season. I wasn't sure why, but maybe I had some of that 'dirty' feeling and didn't realize it.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:05 PM

I respect any hunter, regardless of weapon preference. It takes skill and dedication to harvest "trophy bucks" in any sense of the game in all honesty. Do I have a higher respect to those that use a bow? Yes, do I have an even HIGHER respect fro those that chose the traditional method of hunting as well. It takes much practice and perseverance to hunt with a longbow, and even a recurve in comparison to a compound or a rifle.

I respect the animal that is taken with any weapon, I have no less respect for the animal itself whether it was killed by longbow, recurve, compound, muzzie, or shotgun, any trophy buck is a respectable animal.

I have no problems with anyone using any weapon so long as they complied with fair chase laws... where I lose respect is those that kill the animal JUST for the sole purpose of attaining a trophy with no desire to consume the meat of the kill. [:'(] That frustrates me to no end!

My boyfriend told me something that I think is right on, when he was a kid, he used to ask his dad "Dad, can I shoot that bird?" His dad's answer was always, "Are you going to eat it?" When he replied "No." His dad said, "there's your answer." He now hunts doves, but I guess the point is, there IS no point to shooting a blue jay if you aren't going to eat it, ya know? sorry... a little off topic.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Political correct is a dirty word in itself. No such thing exist
Any deer is a trophy no matter what they killed it with.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:02 PM

i admire any deer taken by another hunter legally.... i dont like gun hunting as much as bowhunting but if someone take a 190 inch buck with gun iam going to admire it..... btw ask a gun hunter that does not bow hunt what he thinks. just my two cents
Old 11-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

A deer killed with a bow is a trophy a deer killed with a gun is a nice deer. That's how I respond to anyone as I'm admiring their deer. For those of you who are concerned, make sure you ask when someone says nice deer to you, "Do you mean that in a trophy sort of way?"

Hey Buck Huntin Girl, if I shoot my trophy and donate to Hunters for the Hungry, am I still an A-hole?

Quick Reply: This should heat it up.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.