Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 legalizing crossbows >

legalizing crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

legalizing crossbows

Old 11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default legalizing crossbows

did any hear the talks about the dnr thinking about legalizing crossbows for everyone in Wisconsin
Old 12-13-2004, 05:40 AM

Default RE: legalizing crossbows

I'm older I use one in Ohio and it's cumbersome,not much to learn how to shoot but and I think they should be legal everywhere.The percentage over bow kills is 3%Not alot but my hat is off to archers even with the new stuff it's practice,and more practice.

lizzzard
Old 12-13-2004, 06:48 AM

Is that for durring archery season or durring firearm season?

New Hampshire has legalized cross bows to be used durring the open firearm season. I still haven't seen anyone in the woods with a crossbow yet though.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:00 AM

I haven't heard any specifics about Wisconsin, but if semi automatics are legal, then crossbows should be a no brainer. They are legal here in December in IN but I don't know of anyone who uses them.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

They're legal in any general weapons season here in Texas, except for migratory game birds. I don't have any problem with that. I don't want them in our bow season, but it's getting increasingly difficult to oppose crossbows and, at the same time, say a high letoff compound shot with a mechanical release is okay. The line seperating those kinds of compound rigs from crossbows is pretty blurred and keeps getting more blurred, year after year. Anybody that doesn't see that is blind, or a hypocrite.

If I had my way, I'd make mechanical releases ILLEGAL, except for the handicapped. That'd go a long way to redefining and clarifying the difference between bows and crossbows.

Yeah, somebody is going to start hopping up and down saying that they should be allowed to use ANYTHING that allows them to make an accurate, ethical, quick, clean kill. Well, if they're unwilling to put in the time and effort to learn to make an accurate shot with their fingers, that's an excellent argument for them to quit bowhunting and start hunting with a rifle.

If that's elitism then so be it. It's my opinion.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 AM

They now have a crossbow season during archery season in MD. It is only a few weeks and I think it ends just before the rut kicks in good, but my dad bought one this year and killed a decent 8pt with. This allows those who cant pull a compound back to still hunt with a challenge. My dad could pull a bow back, but went the route of getting his doctor to sign that he shouldnt allowing a crossbow permit. Its good to see people use them who are not able to use a compound. But the power is outstanding, my dad said the bolt almost knocked the buck over when he shot, and a quick kill with a hard striaght shot.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard and read that many states are considering X-bows. I have NO problem with them IF you are disabled, however IMO, they have NO business in a regular archery season!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow that is a thought invoking reply Arthur P. The release defines the method, interesting outlook. I'm not saying I agree but I admire your stand-point, it's certainly thinking outside the box.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard and read that many states are considering X-bows. I have NO problem with them IF you are disabled, however IMO, they have NO business in a regular archery season!
I totally agree with this!

Well, if they're unwilling to put in the time and effort to learn to make an accurate shot with their fingers, that's an excellent argument for them to quit
I've also seen bowhunters who don't put in the time and effort to learn to make an accurate shot with a mechanical release. Crossbows were initially legalized in most states to allow hunters to hunt who cannot pull a bow due to some sort of disablement. No matter what the letoff(although I refuse to shoot any bow higher than 65% letoff), the amount of poundage must still be pulled through sometime during the draw cycle! That is what distinguishes a bow......any longbow, recurve, or compound from a crossbow.

Quick Reply: legalizing crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.