HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - legalizing crossbows
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: legalizing crossbows

They're legal in any general weapons season here in Texas, except for migratory game birds. I don't have any problem with that. I don't want them in our bow season, but it's getting increasingly difficult to oppose crossbows and, at the same time, say a high letoff compound shot with a mechanical release is okay. The line seperating those kinds of compound rigs from crossbows is pretty blurred and keeps getting more blurred, year after year. Anybody that doesn't see that is blind, or a hypocrite.

If I had my way, I'd make mechanical releases ILLEGAL, except for the handicapped. That'd go a long way to redefining and clarifying the difference between bows and crossbows.

Yeah, somebody is going to start hopping up and down saying that they should be allowed to use ANYTHING that allows them to make an accurate, ethical, quick, clean kill. Well, if they're unwilling to put in the time and effort to learn to make an accurate shot with their fingers, that's an excellent argument for them to quit bowhunting and start hunting with a rifle.

If that's elitism then so be it. It's my opinion.