Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 vanes or feathers? >

vanes or feathers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

vanes or feathers?

Old 11-28-2004, 08:54 PM

Default vanes or feathers?

I have always used vanes but I am thinking about trying out feathers. What is better in your opinion and why?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: vanes or feathers?

There's a ton of threads on this so search a little to get abroad perspective.

I shoot feathers. I think they fly better, look better, and make for a better balanced arrow. Others think their expense and susceptability to the elements are reasons to shoot vanes.

A search of the topic will help you decide better.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:59 PM

I agree with mrfritz. I have arrows with both and the feathers seem to shoot truer with broadheads, no matter how I tune the broadheads relative to the fletching. They both shoot true with field points. I also like the way they look a lot better.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard that vanes are quieter than feathers. Is this in regards to arrow flight? Is there an advantage to shooting with vanes over feathers in that there will be less sound to spook game?
Old 12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the noise issues are over rated in vanes vs. feather comparisons most of the time. If weather isn't going to be a great issue than feathers are really hard to beat. They really do seem to just shoot better with b-heads.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Feathers! I switched from vanes. The vanes seem to flap in the breeze after a while!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM

feathers for sure, they fly better and are more forgiving than vanes
Old 12-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Feathers - more forgiving
Old 12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me too, Feathers.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

After being convinced to try feathers from some other members here I finally did and can say that I will never fletch another arrow for myself with vanes again. Feathers are much more forgiving, much lighter which gives you more FOC and a little bit faster arrow, stabilizes the shaft faster and controls the flight of the arrow much better than any vane will, and they last much longer for me than vanes do.

They are more expensive than vanes but I feel that the trade off between price and all of the other bennefits is well worth it.

You will here some people say that they are noisier than vanes and this is true but when you consider that the noise your bow made at the shot reached the deer's ears long before the feathers began making noise it becomes a non issue.

Quick Reply: vanes or feathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.