Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Looks Like The Big One Will Live To See Another Season (pics)!! >

Looks Like The Big One Will Live To See Another Season (pics)!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looks Like The Big One Will Live To See Another Season (pics)!!

Old 11-28-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Looks Like The Big One Will Live To See Another Season (pics)!!

Sadley, today was my last day to hunt the huge 11 pointer that I have hunted all season. I was hunting this buck on public land here in West Virginia in one of our 4 bow hunting only counties. I got my first picture of him in the summer in full velvet. After that I was simply determined to do everthing possible to harvest him. However, I soon found out that this was no small task. I scouted for him every weekend from June through September and never once saw this deer. I hung 5 stands in terrain funnels in hopes of catching him crossing the many steep ridges in search for does. I had 4 scouting cameras out from June through November trying to get some type of pattern on him but without much success. In fact during this whole time I only got 2 trail cam pictures of him. I was feeling like this buck was simply 100% nocturnal until Tuesday November 16th. On Monday I hunted what turned out to be my best stand in a super funnel located in between a high-wall and a set of cliffs. On Monday I saw 5 does ease through this funnel and bed in a thicket behind me. I returned on Tuesday to the same stand. I didn't see a deer until 12:00 pm, when I noticed a doe and fawn come through the funnel sort of quick. I new the rut was under way and I was hoping that the big 11 pointer was hot on their trails. Well about 1 minute later I heard the leaves crunching and I could not believe my eyes as here came the big typical 11 pointer hot on the does trail at only 38 yards. He was headed right towards my only shooting lane in this funnel. There was a small pine tree at the end of this shooting lane that was exactly 38 yards from my stand. If the buck walks in front of the tree I have a wide open 38 yard shot but if he walks behind the small pine tree I will have no shot at all. Well wouldn't you know it, he walked right behind the small pine tree and stood their broadside for about 45 seconds. It was almost like he knew exactly where I couldn't shoot him and that he just wanted to taught me just a little.

At first I was upset that I had put all that work and effort into trying to harvest him and was unable to do so but then I realized how lucky I was just to be able to see a high 150 class buck on public land during shooting hours. I never saw the buck again even though I hunted almost every day during the month of November for him. I think I am now more focused on harvesting him than ever before. The only thing is I don't know if I can wait another 11 months......

Old 11-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Default RE: Looks Like The Big One Will Live To See Another Season (pics)!!

I hate to see it happen to ya man. I know from personal observation that you worked your @ss off to get close to that deer. If anyone deserves it you certianly do. At least you did get a good close look!! My season's been a total bust as well. Good scoutin, I'll catch ya in the hollow next year!!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is WOW! You're right, he'll go into the 150's for sure! Think of it this way, next year he might even be borderline B&C!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Nice looking buck! He doesn't look all that old either. Great tine length. Think positive. Next year he'll have some more mass and he'll score higher when you take him next year.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

As Antlergetter said you deserve that buck because we have read some of your post's on him ,but I too have been a bust as well but I at least still have 4 week's left to hunt ,so I'll never say die. I know this buck will be waiting for you next season ,but he'll only be a little wiser ,which will make for a better challenge for you.

nubo
Old 11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hes a Dandy!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say he is no more than 3 1/2 years old from the pic.

He has great tine length and main beams but not alot of mass. Put some more mass on him and that 12th point he will be a BRUISER next year. Good luck, I know you can do it!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with him next year hankfan.I sure hope you can get him.I can just imagine what he will look like next year, a little taller,maybe a 12 point and more mass.Maybe we will see your name in the record books
Old 11-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Just think what he will look like next year!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you got close once, you can surely do it again. Best of luck, thats a beautiful buck.

Quick Reply: Looks Like The Big One Will Live To See Another Season (pics)!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.