Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thread about teaching youngsters the importance of hunting... >

Thread about teaching youngsters the importance of hunting...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thread about teaching youngsters the importance of hunting...

Old 11-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Thread about teaching youngsters the importance of hunting...

Ok lets hear your stories on taking the kids hunting or funny stories the kids talk about on a hunting trip...
Old 11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thread about teaching youngsters the importance of hunting...

Actually just yesterday a couple of us took some kids Pheasant hunting on my father in-laws land . It doesn't get hunted too much so there's birds everywhere. One of the kids had never been hunting before, the other two very little. Each of them shot a box of shells a piece at birds. We ended up getting 5 birds and let the kids think they each got at least one of them. They had a blast and so did we!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, I took my Almost 4 yr old on a doe hunt. He watched me shoot a doe and then helped me trail it.. He was on my shoulders and he kept saying, WOW look at the blood.. (SNOW and HEart Shot) Then we found her and he says, WOW.. There she is..Well I started cleaning her, and he kept asking questions, like where's the bellly and this and that, and I accidently cut the stomach and he caught a whiff.. and says, "Pheww, that STINKS" He then asked me to cut the belly open cuz he wanted to see what it ate. He always asks this cuz I would show him the CROP on the Birds we shot and showed him what they were eatting.. I said, You dont want to see the inside of the deer belly.. BUT WHY DAD, everything is WHY. Then I pulled heart out and i said here's the heart.. He looks at it with a wierd face and says, "why is it all ICKY", I said this is just what your heart looks like.

This year I took him tracking my first Buck and he kept following the blood saying, THERES SOME , THERE"S SOME MORE.. He was all excited, then when he found it he says, WOW there it is.. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, An 8 Pointer, GOOD JOB DAD..

I wouldnt Trade it for anything in the world
Old 11-23-2004, 06:15 AM

My favorite story, after my son killed his first deer, he was gingerly trying to figure out how to gut it. I told him to grab the "equipment" and cut them off. He looked at me with the most serious look I've ever seen and said "your kidding" That still cracks me up. Sorry but I think it is funny.

Greatest memory: The way he shakes when a deer is coming in. I always ask , what's the matter, you cold?

Favorite little tradition: When my daughter and son and I hunt squirrels I always have three chocolate bars. I don't dare forget!

Lastly, proudest moment: After my son killed his latest buck with the bow, we had the deer loaded in the truck and were heading to the checking station. I said to him, don't forget to say a prayer for that deer and he said, I already did!

Gret thread.

Greg
Old 11-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Zak123, is gonna make a soon to be 12 year old very happy, hes sending me some Gold Tip 35/55's for my cousin.. what a guy!

my cousin Ben is going to be 12 on January first. this kid gets all excited, when i ask him if he wants to go fishing, or hunting (squirels and rabbits) with me. his parents are seperated and his father isnt much of a dad. really doesnt do much with him. so i took it upon myself to take him around and teach him how to fish and hunt, and i think hes ready (mentally and physically) to start hunting with me (deer). i will be buying him a youth bow, for christmas (maybe a PSE youth bow, what do ya think) anyway, i started him out on a 'lil indian' youth bow, but he outgrew that when he was 8 i think, but he has always shot it well.

i still remember trying to show him how to set the hook when he was 5, yanked this perch right outa the water he pulled so hard... i think thats what its all about... i hope one day i can share an experience like Gryan and his son did.

this is a great thread Huntnsinme... good topic.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:46 AM

Well Im new to the board but my favorite memory happened 2 seasons ago when i took my 6 and 4 yr old "hunting" It was rifle season and a friend of mine has a small plot about 20 acres that he only hunts and allows me to hunt. We stopped by the ice cream shop for a required banana Split and got to our shootin house around 3 pm well we shared the ice cream and watched a young deer feed in the field about 4 We got down and did some scouting for deer tracks and such Both of my boys had a blast but I think thats my best hunting trip ever This year Im planning on Santa Claus buying my oldest a Micro Bow so he can start praticing with it So Ill get to share with his first Deer
Old 11-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well as of yet i dont have any really great stories of my 8 year old. But when i tell him that i am taking him hunting he always says "what am i going to bring daddy?" i tell him you can bring your b.b gun, and he says will that kill a deer? He cracks me up! I dont think he understands the power of what a real gun does versus a b.b.gun. He really likes pheasant hunting and rabbit, he might get his first bird this year, he is using his grandpa's 410! My dad died when i was his age that he is now, so this age is very important to me right now.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most Memorable was when I took my son at age 2 (he's now 16) out rabbit hunting. There was about 12 inches of snow. Easy for me to walk through. Well we had only gone about 20 yards when he said "Daddy, This hard work for me." I unloaded the gun and put him on my shoulders. I carried him around for over an hour "hunting rabbits". Never got one with that unloaded gun but I got a memory of a life time.

I have many others but the only other one I will mention here is from this year when get got me out of the woods when I broke my leg. He stayed calm and cool and just got me out and to the hospital in record time.

I too think this is a great thread. I love to see others taking their kids out hunting and fishing.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 PM

The time spent with our kids are awesome.My son is only 1 as of yet but hes getting there and I cant wait!!! I just wanted to read some of your stories since it is Thanksgiving and I know we sometimes forget to thank the good Lord for our youngins, But I am sure he knows. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!