Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If Bowhunting was BANNED, would you still HUNT? >

If Bowhunting was BANNED, would you still HUNT?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If Bowhunting was BANNED, would you still HUNT?

Old 11-21-2004, 06:28 AM

Default RE: If Bowhunting was BANNED, would you still HUNT?

Kinda weird seeing a group that preaches good ethics and believes strongly in game laws and their enforcement..............jump so quickly to the side of law breaking rebel if something doesn't go their way

The law is the law.........you can't follow the ones you agree with and ignore the ones you think are not "for you".

If bowhunting was illegal and you still bowhunted how would you be any better then someone who shoots deer at night or all year round or shoots 10 more then he has tags for?

The quick jump to a militant attitude of "from my cold dead hands" makes any talk of such a topic turn into a polorized battle of "us" vs "them" and you are either "with us" or "against us".

That is not the way to handle things like this in my opinion. If you don't like a law you work to change it the legal way. If every hunter got off his butt and signed a petition saying they would vote someone out of office if they didn't address this issue.........it would get taken care of. Our numbers are still strong enough to effect an election, especially state level.

If they banned bowhunting I would be miserable and VERY angry..........but I would shoot my bow at my targets and hunt deer whatever LEGAL ways remained.

BTW for anyone who thinks they never could or would ban hunting you should read this article.

Nov 18, 2004 — By Mike Peacock

LONDON (Reuters) - Ending years of bitter argument, Britain finally banned the centuries-old pursuit of fox hunting on Thursday — but only after a last-minute attempt by the government to delay its demise until after the next election.

Prime Minister Tony Blair, worried that banning the pastime now would hurt his campaign for a third term in power in an election expected next year, tried to put off the day on which hunters with hounds would no longer be able to chase and kill the fox.

But, in extraordinary scenes in parliament, he was defied by both lower house politicians, many of them members of his Labour Party, and the House of Lords, the upper chamber.

The ancient pursuit has long inflamed passions across the country, opponents denouncing it as a barbaric sport while supporters argue it is an essential element of country life, providing employment for thousands.

The elected House of Commons has consistently voted for a complete ban while the unelected Lords have demanded that some hunting be allowed to continue in England and Wales.

Scotland has already ended fox hunting.

In the House of Commons, there were chaotic scenes when, at the last minute, the government suggested delaying the imposition of a ban for three years, hoping this would persuade the House of Lords to drop its opposition.

"I have tried for the best part of two years to find a compromise and a way forward since there are people who feel passionately on either side of this debate," Blair said. The Commons, allowed to vote free of party control, rejected that but supported postponing a ban until mid-2006.

In a frantic session of parliamentary "ping pong" on the last day of the current session of parliament, the Lords then insisted defiantly that some hunting be allowed to continue indefinitely.

"The proposal … is designed to help the government over the pre-election period," Labour peer Baroness Mallalieu said.

BAN LIKELY EARLY NEXT YEAR

The stalemate forced Speaker Michael Martin, the Commons' convenor, to wield the rarely used Parliament Act, a legislative device to ensure the will of the elected chamber prevails.

Unless the government introduces further legislation, the bill will become law in its original form, which called for a ban in three months, not the 18 months or even three years Blair hoped for — putting it squarely on the election agenda.

Passionate debates on fox hunting have taken up several hundred hours of parliament's time since Blair took power in 1997, pledging to outlaw the pursuit.

Even at the last he wavered, voting this week for a compromise that would have allowed some hunting under license.

Few MPs supported him.

"Constant dithering over this is bringing our political processes into disrepute," said former minister Clare Short.

Labour Party sources say they fear photographs of piles of dead hunting hounds could blight their drive for re-election.

Supporters of hunting have already invaded parliament and clashed with police in their bid to keep their sport legal, and may now pursue their campaign in court.

The Countryside Alliance, a pro-hunting pressure group, says it is preparing a legal challenge to the ban.

"There will now obviously be a whole series of court actions around it," Blair told a news conference.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely ,I'd still hunt .

nubo
Old 11-21-2004, 07:46 AM

i may change what i hunt (if you get my gist), but i'd still do it with a bow. anti bow hunters aren't woods wary yet and would probably be easy to get in position on.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 AM

yes, I'd be illegal and hunt
Old 11-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

If game animals became a threatened species then NO I would not hunt.

As long as huntable numbers abound yes I would defy a ban!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Tag dollers pay game cops. Bann it know cops. poacher would be everywhere thuse the end of deer, elk and all animals they would kill them all of at night with spot lights. It would be very stupid to ban it in anyway. but the tree hugers are not the brightest people on earth. FYI I would be out there with my bow.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd only stop if i got caught.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:51 PM

What we need to do is do everything we can by the law so they dont have any reasons to ban hunting. personnally I think hunting is good and knows that it does way more good for the deer than the tree huggers understand.
But to answer the question, I cant honestly say that I would not hunt, but there again if it came to being illegal, then I guess it would be too late to be reasonable, And I would much better prefer to eat deer than to pay rising insurance costs for the deaths they cause on the interstates.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman
I was thinking on this most of us bow hunters bend the law when we hunt . In Ohio the law reads that you can hunt deer from 1/2 hr before sunsise till 1/2 hr after sunset. Be honest I will shoot before and after if I can get a safe shoot for a clean kill. I bet most of the rest of you will too.
So what is the big jump ?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:21 PM

Camo is for hiding. They'd never catch me. Plus i'm so short, i blend in with the squirrels.

Which ones, the ones standing up or the ones with their bellies on the ground?

tee hee hee,, just kidding.

And yes I would hunt somehow, somewhere, even if I had to dress up as a squirrel.

Quick Reply: If Bowhunting was BANNED, would you still HUNT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.