Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attention, this kind of crud will give the antis loads to work with. >

Attention, this kind of crud will give the antis loads to work with.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attention, this kind of crud will give the antis loads to work with.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:12 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Attention, this kind of crud will give the antis loads to work with.

Let me start out by saying that I have shot a deer in the head with an arrow. HOWEVER... it was not on purpose. I am definitely an idiot for having done so, but I am not dumb enough to have TRIED to hit him in the head. It was a long shot - too long - about 40-45 yards. As I shot, he jumped (dropped down, actually, as they do) and turned, and I hit him behind the antlers toward the left side. He ran off, shaking his head. We were able to pick up the blood trail in the shelterbelt that he ran into and about 45 yards into it, we found the arrow. It hadn't penetrated very far. About 25 yards after that, the blood trail stopped and we were not able to find any more. I'm praying that the wound was not a fatal one.

I deeply regret taking that shot. I would have preferred not to admit to doing something so stupid, but I just wanted to point out that this can happen, even if you're aiming for the lungs. Maybe the guy who shot that muley WAS aiming for the head, but I doubt it. For the arrow to only penetrate that far into the eye socket, the shot distance must have been aways. At that distance, I would expect that the muley would have been able to react and move his head OUT of the arrow's path. My guess - for what it's worth - is that the muley jumped and ended up getting his head INTO the arrow's path, like what happened in my case.

Also, with an aluminum like that, I can't imagine that arrow being stuck there more than 2 minutes for it to be straight yet. That buck would have mangled it trying to get it out.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Attention, this kind of crud will give the antis loads to work with.

I agree a set up pic.No way that arrow stayed that straight and it aint even in very far.Must of shot it with a 10 lb bow, Yea right
Old 11-16-2004, 02:36 PM

OBVIOUS fake job.

Only an anti moron would be dumb enough to think that with todays compound strength that an arrow would not penetrate past the orbital socket........not to mention I don't care what he had to do to get it out.....that deer would never walk around for any length of time with a full arrow shaft protruding from it's eye.

Besides the shadow of the arrow is so pathetically out of place it's rediculous.

Most importantly..........why does anyone care what the anti crowd thinks anyways??

The minute you start shaping what you say or how you hunt to please them they have already won.

F--- them and everyone who looks like them. I don't like a lot of things other people do. I just accept the fact that people are different and not everyone lives their lives the same. Just because someone is different then you doesn't make either one of you right or wrong.........just different. Live with it.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

And if it is a real photo, the hunter in it is a slob for allowing it to be posted anywhere, anytime. Perhaps he's antibowhunting as a premier rifleman....it's still a black eye for hunting all together. If it's fake, it's just as stupid and idiotic to allow it to be publicized. Shame on everyone involved in photographing that animal like that...

But I agree, it's either fake, the story is incorrect, changed or fabricated.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

F--- them and everyone who looks like them.
BRAVO I agree 100%

Pic is no doubt a fake.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

A few years back my uncle shot a spike during firearms season & when we aproached the downed deer something wasn't right. Upon closer examination we found about 1.5" of arrow shaft sticking from the back right side of his head. Flipped him over & there was an arrow buried half way thru the fletching in the deers left eye. The really amazing thing was that it was pretty much healed up. I'd say it was at least 2 or 3 weeks old & the deer seemed healthy enuff. Hard to believe an arrow could go thru his head without killing him but there you go. Mighta been a field point tho.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sho-me_bhntr

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

If you feel this is bad press, why would you bring it to light in front of another large audience?
i was thinking the same thing.
Because this is not the first story I have read of rifle hunter digging broadheads out of the eyes of deer.

maybe because WE as hunters need to police our own and keep the antis the hell out of it
if we as hunters see this and it gets us pissed off as it would most guys and gals here and
anyone just cruiseing the boards lookin for ammo will not see anyone here sayin hey great shot but rather seeing how pissed we get over this half assed attempt at someone trying to score on a huge buck under the pretense that it was a hunter/sportsman,, this is exactly the kind off thing
we as hunters dont condone and will not sit back and give the moron who took this shot a pat on the back but would much rather give him a good swift kick ,, my 2cents worth
Bingo. Hit the nail on the head.

Or from yalls discontent on this post suggests I should ignore actions like this?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Not to stir up controversy, but I have seen a thunderhead that was taken out of a deers eye. My uncle shot the deer, and when he field dressed it he noticed the eye was grown shut. It was obvious that the eye had been damaged. He had thought it was due to buck fighting with each other. When he got his mount back from the taxadermis the taxsadermis had a little surprise. He had dug a thunderhead out of the damaged eye. This deer had lived a considerable amount of time with this broadhead stuck in his eye. At least a year.

My purpose for posting this is to stress the need to take good high percent shots to your ability. I dont know if this is true or caused by someone taking a head shot, but if it was an accident, I think the shooter either over did himself by taking a shot he could not make, or did it on purpose. Either is unexceptable.!!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

The issue here isn't about the arrow, hitting one in the head etc.....it's about why in the world would a hunter take the picture and then publish it to the public...had I shot this animal, I'd removed the arrow before photographs and told virtually no one....it's nothing but bad press against bowhunters and hunting in general......

I'm sure it happens more times then we know, people get hung up on looking at antlers and then shoot where they are looking rather than concentrating on the kill zone......plus errant arrows are going to happen as well from limbs etc....we don't need to publish the results of them tho. The photographer and hunter used poor judgement on this one.[&:]
Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember a video taken last year or even the year before that was posted on a forum of a hunter who videod himself shooting a doe in the head deliberately and then laughing about it on video .Does anyone remember this vid .I'm not so sure it was on our forum or not . This guy was abowhunter and he was so proud of his shooting abilities ,but jhe never considered once disturbing and offensive this vid would be with bowhunter's across the world .These guy's are not in our class of bowhunter's and definetly don't deserve to be called bowhunter's .
As some have said this pic could be photoshopped and I have to agree that this could possibly be. I have to agree that the arrow should be bent in some way or another if the arrow was there for any period of time . I do believe this pic is a fake ,and anyone responsible should be band from the forum this wa posted.

I truely believe that the folk's on this forum are far above the one's responsible for this pic. And that we shouldn't acknowledge this pic in the slightest degree. Get rid of this pic it just make's my blood boil.

nubo

Quick Reply: Attention, this kind of crud will give the antis loads to work with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.