Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'll never go back to mechanicals... >

I'll never go back to mechanicals...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'll never go back to mechanicals...

Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'll never go back to mechanicals...

After using Wasp Jak Hammer mechanicals for the last three years and not being happy with the penetration that I was getting, this year I went back to the 100 grain Muzzy 3 blades and so far this year I've shot a deer at 41 yards and one at about 10 yards and both were complete pass throughs. And although both shots were slightly quartering to me and took out one lung both deer were recovered fairly easily.
Also I want to thank Rob/PABowyer because knowing how that both of these deer were hit I backed out and let them lay for 4 hours and all along I was thinking of his numerous posted about giving them time to die.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'll never go back to mechanicals...

I say you should have used a better mech than the Wasp in the first place, they are certainly not the highest quality out there! That being said, I shoot Rockets and I'll never go back to fixed blades. Seriously, I've seen more deer wounded and lost with fixed blades over the past 10 years than by qualitly mechs, just look at all the "stuck one today" and "lost another one" posts on all these forums? Bottom line, HIT the deer in the KILLZONE and they will die,.... quickly! Waaaayyyyy to many folks look for excuses and unfortunatley the b-head always seems to be the easiest one to blame. Why is that when someone looses a deer shot with a mech than it was the B-HEADS fault, BUT when the loose one with a fixed blade than it was something else's fault? Just curious?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Il. I don't beleive that my post said anything about shooting and loosing a deer because of the broadhead. I said that I was not impressed with the penetration. I shot two deer last year within 30 yards and neither one were complete pass throughs. I had no trouble finding either deer but the arrow was still in them. And if I'm not mistaken of all of the deer that I've killed with mechanicals only 1-2 were completed pass throughs. Now maybe you don't mind leaving your arrow in the deer or maybe your choice of mechanicals acheives the penetration that makes you happy but for me it will be fixed from here on out.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM

I'd like to say that I respect your choice for the change from mechanical to fixed from here on out. If mechanicals are not working for your set-up a change is needed, in any instance if something with your set-up isn't working you owe it to the game you're pursueing to change it. I personally use spitfire mechanicals and with my set-up I'm very comfortable with them. I've taken three deer this year, two being pass throughs. I don't have anything wrong with fixed just that mechanicals for me fly more true. Every set-up is different, and we all have to find what worked the best for us, but on the other hand respect anothers opinions because something that doesn't work for you may work perfectly for someone else. If we all shot the same everything, what fun would it be going to the pro shops?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the debate over mechanical vs. fixed blade heads is one that will never, ever end - much like the debate of Ford vs Chevy or Coke vs Pepsi. Both heads will do an excellent job with accurate shot placement, and you will hear horror stories of the results of a bad hit with both.

As they say, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:50 AM

As a person that is newer to bow hunting than most. I will have to say I somewhat disagree with both accounts on the WASP Jackhammer SST mech. I have shot three times at deer in the field with my bow and all three times with WASP mech. all three deer down within 40 yrds of where they were hit. So until the WASP show me something other than clean quick kills, I will stick with Mech. and WASP's. Not to say that you are not having different results. I am tempted by the G5 Montec, very tempted.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

gutshot,

I did the same thing you did. exactly! I started using Jak-Hammers, I shot one deer with them and got really bad penetration. I then switched to muzzy's and since then I've had pass through's on all but two deer. And those two were hit directly square in the front shoulder. I strongly believe I wouldn't have recovered either of those 2 deer had I been using mechanicals. I just don't have the ke to put a mechanical through a deer's shoulder.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used mechanicals and did this year with my Dad's Q2, carbons and the First Cut expandables. bow was set at 55# I beleive.

I wasn't impressed with the penetration either because once a solid bone was hit, the tip curled and penetration was lost.

I'll likely shoot mechanicals again - just a different brand. I've never lost a deer to mechanicals, but have lost deer to fixed blades (replaceable blade)
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong fella's I'm not knocking mechanicals or the people that shoot them, I to have lost deer with fixed blades, but all that I'm saying is that I shot mechanicals through 2 different bows in 3 years and I've noticed a penetration difference. I want my arrow blowing clear through the deer and out the back and for me Muzzy's are doing that where the Wasp's didn't.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:55 PM

well i guess their not for everyone....i have been useing spitfires for 5 years now and not once did i not get a complete passthrough w/ a huge exit hole...........i'm stayin w/ em

otto

Quick Reply: I'll never go back to mechanicals...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.