Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do I get him closer?? >

How do I get him closer??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do I get him closer??

Old 11-15-2004, 08:14 AM

Default How do I get him closer??

After a month of bowhunting and seeing deer just about every time out, the frustration level is rising. My stand is in what seems like the middle of grand central station as far as trails go, but it is out in a field of sparse trees and chest high brush. I'm surrounded by three apple trees, two of which, including the one closest to my stand, isn't showing many apples anymore.

This past weekend I watched what I believe was the same 6 point for probably an hour total (two evenings for a half four each, right around the same time), in which time I never had a reasonable shot. Last night, he came within 10 yards, but he managed to take a path where I never had a shot. I had a broadside 35 yard shot the first night, but I wasn't comfortable with the shot. If that had presented itself at the end of the weekend, it may have been okay, sad to say. Last night after coming within 10 yards, I watched him go over to the loaded apple tree and have a snack.

I have 2 scent-bombs up, loaded with Tink's #69 and trophy buck lure, but he didn't pay any attention to them. In fact, of the 10 or so times I've been out, no deer has payed any attention to my bombs. Saturday night, when I had the 35 yard shot, I saw some interesting behavior: the 6-pt was very alert, looking up and around every step or two. After a while of watching this, a 2 point comes from the other direction, head down eating whatever is in the brush to eat. He looked up at the 6 point, came within 2-3 yards of him, put his head back down and kept walking. I had the same 35 yard shot with him as I did the 6 point. The six point was now heading away from me so I started to grunt to try and change his direction. He did change directions and went back from where he came, but at a much greater pace. Either his pace hastened due to my grunting or it had something to do with the other 2 point.

I guess now that my frustration level has peaked, I'm looking for some advice on how to get him closer to me so I can get a reasonable shot. I know it's easier said than done, but I don't know anything I'm doing wrong yet I know I have to change something.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:46 AM

Default RE: How do I get him closer??

I doubt if he is worried about the 2 point. Your grunting was prob. what sent him in the other direction. At this time of year the smaller bucks have been knocked around by the bigger bucks. They get real nervious about any grunts or rattling. It sounds to me that you are doing alot right if you have had him in as close as you mentioned. I would lay off the calling and just be patient. Maybe open up another shooting lane so you can shoot the trail he went down when he was ten yards away. Just keep at it you will get him.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 AM

move your stand
Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 PM

Murphy's law says I move my stand the next thing I'll be watching is the buck walking under where it used to be!!